Theme gallery for OJS 3.x

Does any body knows about a gallery of OJS 3.x themes?

Thanks in advance,
m.

3 Likes

This post is where the initial unofficial list of themes was published.

An official PKP list of themes can be found in the documentation: https://docs.pkp.sfu.ca/pkp-theming-guide/en/themes

Useful stuff of this list was moved to a wiki-page in a new post so the we all can keep information up to date:

I kept here old stuff, that can still be useful for somebody:

5 Likes

Unofficial OJS3 theme gallery

ADVICE: An official theme list can be found here

Classic

Default Bootstrap

Health Sciences

Immersion

Manuscript

Manuscript-JATS

Old Gregg Theme for OJS 3

Pragma Theme for OJS 3.2+

Showroom

Real world examples:

ABOUT THIS PAGE
This post is intentionally editable by everybody (wiki style) to keep the list open and collectively updated. Feel free to improve this list as you wish (add themes, fields, update…)

DISCLAIMER:
[1] Some themes are published under GPL but the branding (image) is not and is property of the journals. Please, respect the work of the developers and the journals that share the code with the community for educational proposes.

UPDATES
@Vitaliy aded some themes.
@NateWr pointed that an official and updated PKP list of themes can be found in the documentation: Themes

3 Likes

Thanks @marc! There is an attempt to keep an up-to-date list of the official themes at the theming guide.

Regarding CriticalTimes, I’d just remind everyone that this is not a theme that is for general release. Although the code is GPL, the branding is not and therefore the theme can’t be taken off-the-shelf and used. Just because something is in an open repository doesn’t mean its open for use, so may not be appropriate for this list. (On the other hand, I’m happy for anyone to look at the code to learn how to do anything that was done for that theme.)

I think it’s always been our intention to open up the plugin gallery to more third-party contributions, as well. I think it’s maybe just up to @Vitaliy what he wants to do with his theme.

1 Like

Thanks @NateWr

I full understand what you say about CriticalTimes.

I need to start an institutional theme, that obviously, will be released on GPL… but branding will be bounded to our institution, so I’m facing the same problem you comment.

May be we can add a warning to this “free code but with coorp image” themes? Or do you think is better to remove them from the list?

I prefer show the code and warn trusting people won’t abuse the license… but I’m open to your suggestions.

BTW, what about a theming workshop in PKPBCN19? :wink:

I prefer show the code and warn trusting people won’t abuse the license… but I’m open to your suggestions.

I’m the same. I do think we’ll run into some ill-advised behaviour but we can deal with that in line with community standards of behaviour. If I want the code to be hidden I can make it a private repo. It’s flown under the radar for now but if it becomes a problem, I’ll do that.

I need to start an institutional theme, that obviously, will be released on GPL… but branding will be bounded to our institution, so I’m facing the same problem you comment.

I’d encourage you to use a private repo if that’s important to your institution. It does mean that less code is in the open, but until you publish code you don’t have any obligations under the GPL.

1 Like

This would be a workshop, not the sprint? Happy to put something together if there is interest.

1 Like

I feel like in the sprint we need to be productive and leave the meeting with something we can touch… :wink:

May be Kevin wanted to keep this in secret but your name rises couple of times when we were talking about the second track:
http://pkpbcn19.net/call-proposals

Ok… I’m going to be honest here: :smiley:

:%s/"your name rises"/"Marc pointed Nate with this finger"/g

BTW @Vitaliy I hope to see you in BCN too.
You have plenty of things to explain.

Sorry for the OT. Probably I should write you both in private. :blush: :thinking:

3 Likes

Great work @NateWr

On critical themes. It is interesting how a photo changes things. I wonder how it would look if they carried the appeal of the first page on the inside pages. I also wonder how this theme will look and function when you have lots of back issues.

Is there a way to load up snippets of different issues on the homepage?

I noticed it took sometime for the pages to load.

Hi @newone,

Critical Times is a one-off theme built specifically for that journal. I don’t recommend using it for other journals.

Hi @NateWr

Got it but I have no plans to use CriticalTimes.

My question on homepage was about Open Journal Systems in general. Is there a way to load snippets of articles from various issues on the homepage? This would be particularly useful for those that host multiple journals. It will be good to flash some of the recently published articles from journals on the homepage. This will give users a general idea of the content in the journals, and encourage exploration.

Hi @newone,

You can add custom data to a template in your theme plugin. This page in the theming guide describes how:

https://docs.pkp.sfu.ca/pkp-theming-guide/en/advanced-custom-data

To load published articles, you will want to look at the PublishedArticleDAO:

$publishedArticleDao = DAORegistry::DAO('PublishedArticleDAO');
$articles = $publishedArticleDao->getPublishedArticlesByJournalId($journalId);
1 Like

Thanks @NateWr . I will try that and will report back if I have any issues.

What problems one could encounter with Critical Times theme when it is used in other journals? Could you please be more specific? Maybe it is not compatible with OJS. 3.2.x?

Critical Times is not supported and has not been updated for several OJS versions. It is not compatible with 3.2.x.

Then, as far is not compatible and with a look&feel build for a specific journal, probably is better if we remove Critical Times from the list.

Anyway, thanks a lot Nate to share the code.

A post was split to a new topic: Is the default 3.3+ theme the only theme that is compliant with WCAG 2.1