3 Likes

Hi

Same question here. Any news?
I can’t find PLN plugin for ojs3.

Regards,
Tarcisio Pereira

1 Like

Hi,

same problem here. i can’t enable PLN plugin in OJS 3.1.1. Any solution?

regards
Imran Qureshi

Hi all,

The PKP Preservation Network (PLN) plugin hasn’t been released for OJS 3 yet. Development is essentially complete but testing is taking longer than expected. Watch the PKP blog for news.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

1 Like

I would like to inquire whether the plugin is available for OJS 3.1.?

The use of the plugin is a prerequisite for getting the Seal of the Directory of Open Access Journals, therefore I believe it is urgent for a very high number of journals.

Is available the PLN Plugin in the new version 3.1.2.0?

DOAJ’s Seal only requires “deposits content with a long term digital preservation or archiving program” https://doaj.org/faq#seal

It seems possible to meet the requirement above with “Alternate Archiving Options”, using LOCKSS and participating in a private network instead of PKP PN.

FGN

Hi Alec,

Is there any update yet on when this may be available?

Many thanks,

Sharon

@asmecher Please could you provide an update on the PLN Plugin? Many of us have been waiting for over 2 years for this very important service and it was promised by the end of 2019.

Hi @sioux,

We’ve been working on a couple of complex issues with the service and are making slow progress. We expect OJS 3.2 to include a couple of adjustments that will facilitate solutions and will update you with something more concrete when we have positive results.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

2 Likes

Hi Alec Smecher @asmecher,
Thank you for the kind updates. Since you and your team are working on this for long and better know the updates, can you please mention the tentative time it will take to release the PKP PLN plugin for OJS 3.

Looking forward to your kind reply.
Regards. Sulaman

Hi @sulaman,

As you’ve seen we have not been able to provide an accurate estimate this far so I’m hesitant to set a deadline. However, of two complex issues, one has been resolved this week. We plan to include a fix for the other with OJS 3.2, due for release in February. The Plugin will be released after that.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like

Hi Alec
What problem was solved?
I will appreciate your answer

Hi @JoannaB,

We were concerned that a large number of deposits were producing XML with invalid UTF-8 sequences (the underlying PHP XML toolset does not check if XML documents it exports contain these, which are particularly prevalent in databases that were generated with older versions of PHP etc). We have decided to solve this on the PLN side by filtering invalid characters out of the documents before parsing. This won’t prevent deposits that contain invalid characters from being ingested, as was the concern. For this to be fully effective we will need to upgrade some of the tooling on the PLN server, but meanwhile the current filtering is largely effective.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

I noticed the milestone which included PLN plugin is closed. OJS/OMP 3.2 Milestone · GitHub. I was wondering when ojs 3.2 is going to be released? And will it include PLN plugin?

Regards
Ghazal

Hi @salehig,

The OJS 3.2 milestone doesn’t contain the PLN plugin – it contains some prerequisites that are required for the PLN function to be made more reliable. Now that OJS 3.2 has been released, we’ll be returning to testing with the PLN plugin to ensure that it is reliable, and once that’s established we’ll release it. Watch for an announcement on the PKP blog, or for the PLN plugin to appear in the plugin gallery.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks @asmecher. I noticed ojs 3.2 is available to download in a zip file. But
couldn’t find a corresponding tag in GitHub - pkp/ojs: Open Journal Systems is open source software to manage scholarly journals.. Will it be coming there too?

Hi @salehig,

The tag for OJS 3.2.0-0 is 3_2_0-0. We’ll be adding a stable-3_2_0 branch within the next couple of weeks.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like

Hi @asmecher, seasons greetings.
With all the progress done on 3.2 and PLN plugin, can we expect the PLN plugin to appear in the gallery please.

Kind regards. Sulaman

Hi @sulaman,

See this update: https://pkp.sfu.ca/2020/03/30/lessons-learned-and-next-steps-pkp-preservation-network-report/

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like