[OJS 3.1.0.1] Error in Submission setting area

Hi everybody,
I need help with a problem that I found in the submission setting, show me this message popup

After clicking OK it disappears and doesn’t cause me any other errors, but the tab archive doesn’t appear nothing and even the PUBMED plugin doesn’t display any article.

I tried to understand where the problem was and I discovered a connection with the “submission_settings” table of the site database, in practice if I dropped this table, everything works, but if I enter the data, the popup error message reappears.

I did the update from version 2.4.8.2 and everything went well.

What can it be? Can you fix it?
Thank you for support

Bye
Tiziano

I have the same problem and i upgraded from 3.0.2.0.
(error comes from …/api/v1/submissions?status=1&assignedTo=-1&searchPhrase=&count=20&offset=0&=1513248409934)

I also noticed that i can’t add a new “Submission Preparation Checklist” in “Settings”->“Workflow”->“Submission” (i click on “add item”, fill the form and click on “Save”, nothing happens on backoffice but i can see it in /about/submissions frontend).

Thanks

Hi! Up the topic for help!

Hi @Tiziano

Coud you check your browser console log and post here error message?

Regards,
Israel Cefrin
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @israel.cefrin, yes this:

[18-Dec-2017 13:54:54 Europe/Berlin] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of SubmissionFileDAO::fromRow() should be compatible with PKPSubmissionFileDAO::fromRow($row, $fileImplementation) in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/classes/article/SubmissionFileDAO.inc.php on line 23
[18-Dec-2017 13:55:15 Europe/Berlin] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of SubmissionFileDAO::fromRow() should be compatible with PKPSubmissionFileDAO::fromRow($row, $fileImplementation) in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/classes/article/SubmissionFileDAO.inc.php on line 23
[18-Dec-2017 13:55:15 Europe/Berlin] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of SubmissionFileDAO::fromRow() should be compatible with PKPSubmissionFileDAO::fromRow($row, $fileImplementation) in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/classes/article/SubmissionFileDAO.inc.php on line 23
[18-Dec-2017 13:55:17 Europe/Berlin] Slim Application Error:
Type: RuntimeException
Code: 5
Message: Malformed UTF-8 characters, possibly incorrectly encoded
File: /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Http/Response.php
Line: 353
Trace: #0 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/api/v1/_submissions/PKPBackendSubmissionsHandler.inc.php(157): Slim\Http\Response->withJson(Array)
#1 [internal function]: PKPBackendSubmissionsHandler->getSubmissions(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Array)
#2 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Handlers/Strategies/RequestResponse.php(41): call_user_func(Array, Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Array)
#3 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Route.php(335): Slim\Handlers\Strategies\RequestResponse->__invoke(Array, Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Array)
#4 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(117): Slim\Route->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#5 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Route.php(313): Slim\Route->callMiddlewareStack(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#6 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/App.php(495): Slim\Route->run(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#7 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/classes/security/authorization/internal/ApiAuthorizationMiddleware.inc.php(74): Slim\App->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#8 [internal function]: ApiAuthorizationMiddleware->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Slim\App))
#9 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/DeferredCallable.php(43): call_user_func_array(Object(ApiAuthorizationMiddleware), Array)
#10 [internal function]: Slim\DeferredCallable->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Slim\App))
#11 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(70): call_user_func(Object(Slim\DeferredCallable), Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Slim\App))
#12 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/classes/security/authorization/internal/ApiTokenDecodingMiddleware.inc.php(82): Slim\App->Slim{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#13 [internal function]: ApiTokenDecodingMiddleware->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#14 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/DeferredCallable.php(43): call_user_func_array(Object(ApiTokenDecodingMiddleware), Array)
#15 [internal function]: Slim\DeferredCallable->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#16 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(70): call_user_func(Object(Slim\DeferredCallable), Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#17 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/classes/handler/APIHandler.inc.php(67): Slim\App->Slim{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#18 [internal function]: APIHandler->{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#19 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/DeferredCallable.php(43): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#20 [internal function]: Slim\DeferredCallable->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#21 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(70): call_user_func(Object(Slim\DeferredCallable), Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#22 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/classes/handler/APIHandler.inc.php(89): Slim\App->Slim{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#23 [internal function]: APIHandler->{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#24 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/DeferredCallable.php(43): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#25 [internal function]: Slim\DeferredCallable->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#26 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(70): call_user_func(Object(Slim\DeferredCallable), Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#27 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(117): Slim\App->Slim{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#28 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/App.php(388): Slim\App->callMiddlewareStack(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#29 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/App.php(296): Slim\App->process(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#30 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/classes/core/APIRouter.inc.php(110): Slim\App->run()
#31 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/classes/core/Dispatcher.inc.php(134): APIRouter->route(Object(Request))
#32 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php(243): Dispatcher->dispatch(Object(Request))
#33 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/index.php(68): PKPApplication->execute()
#34 {main}
View in rendered output by enabling the “displayErrorDetails” setting.

i use MAMP for MAC, 5.6 PHP version and file folder have write permission.

Best
Tiziano

Hi @maurox and @Tiziano

Please, double check if your URL API is workin (and not returning a 404 error). You may test it in URL:

http://YOUR_JOURNAL_DOMAIN/index.php/YOUR_JOURNAL_PATH/api/v1/

In case it returns an error, check your php error log and debug it with such message guidance.

Regards,
Israel Cefrin

Hi, i did check, my test API and returned 404 error, and into PHP log error, show me this message:

[18-Dec-2017 14:11:07 Europe/Berlin] PHP Deprecated: Non-static method PKPRequest::_checkThis() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/classes/core/Dispatcher.inc.php on line 245
[18-Dec-2017 14:11:07 Europe/Berlin] ojs2: 404 Not Found
[18-Dec-2017 14:11:08 Europe/Berlin] PHP Deprecated: Non-static method PKPRequest::_checkThis() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/agro/lib/pkp/classes/core/Dispatcher.inc.php on line 245
[18-Dec-2017 14:11:08 Europe/Berlin] ojs2: 404 Not Found

Also for me 404

apache log:
[Mon Dec 18 13:55:22 2017] [error] [client XXXXX] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘{’ in /var/www/ojs3/ojs-3.1.0-1/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/App.php on line 299, referer: http://journalpath/index.php/pro/submissions
[Mon Dec 18 13:59:16 2017] [error] [client XXXXX] ojs2: 404 Not Found

Hi @Tiziano

An API error like that it may tells you that your base_url parameter in config.inc.php has some missing or incorrect setting.

Please, double check this parameter in your OJS install.

Regards,
Israel Cefrin

in my config i have

; The canonical URL to the OJS installation (excluding the trailing slash)
base_url = "http://sub.domain.net"

And if i copy/paste this url un browser i see a ojs home page.

Maybe i have to check others settings?

Thanks a lot

Hi @maurox

Load that URL with api path and check your php error log. This may give more details about this issue.

Regards,
Israel Cefrin

Hi @israel.cefrin

now with URL: http://YOUR_JOURNAL_DOMAIN/index.php/YOUR_JOURNAL_PATH/api/v1/

show me this message:

Index of /agro/api/v1

Parent Directory
_submissions/
issues/
submissions/

yes, i wrote in my prev reply
[Mon Dec 18 13:55:22 2017] [error] [client XXXXX] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘{’ in /var/www/ojs3/ojs-3.1.0-1/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/App.php on line 299, referer: http://journalpath/index.php/pro/submissions
[Mon Dec 18 13:59:16 2017] [error] [client XXXXX] ojs2: 404 Not Found

Another (related) problem is here
http://journal/index.php/pro/api/v1/submissions?searchPhrase=&count=100&offset=0&=1513676796547

500 Internal Server Error

same error in php log
[19-Dec-2017 09:20:20 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘{’ in /var/www/ojs3/ojs-3.1.0-1/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/App.php on line 299

Hi @Tiziano

Did it happen after you modify your config.inc.php or you didn’t change anything?

Regards,
Israel Cefrin

Hi @israel.cefrin, yes i think…

Hi @Mauro

Access attempting to your URL http://journal/index.php/pro/api/v1/ returns:

This site can’t be reached
The webpage at http://journal/index.php/pro/api/v1/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

Please check your server if it is responding ok.

Regards,
Israel Cefrin

Hi @israel.cefrin and @maurox,
i don’t know if this suggestion can be useful for everyone, in my case i fixed my “submission pop-up problem”, changing the Localization Settings in my config.in.php file.

I explain:

from this setting:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; Localization Settings ;

[i18n]

; Default locale
locale = en_US

; Client output/input character set
client_charset = utf-8

; Database connection character set
; Must be set to “Off” if not supported by the database server
; If enabled, must be the same character set as “client_charset”
; (although the actual name may differ slightly depending on the server)
connection_charset = Off

; Database storage character set
database_charset = Off

; Enable character normalization to utf-8 (recommended)
; If disabled, strings will be passed through in their native encoding
; Note that client_charset and database collation must be set
; to “utf-8” for this to work, as characters are stored in utf-8
charset_normalization = Off

to this setting:

; Localization Settings ;

[i18n]

; Default locale
locale = en_US

; Client output/input character set
client_charset = utf-8

; Database connection character set
; If enabled, must be the same character set as “client_charset”
; (although the actual name may differ slightly depending on the server)
connection_charset = utf8

; Database storage character set
database_charset = utf8

; Enable character normalization to utf-8 (recommended)
; If disabled, strings will be passed through in their native encoding
; Note that client_charset and database collation must be set
; to “utf-8” for this to work, as characters are stored in utf-8
charset_normalization = Off

5 Likes

Hi @maurox,

Check that your version of PHP meets OJS’s requirements (described in docs/README).

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi, thanks for reply.
Maybe during installation somethings gone wrong…i’ve reinstalled and it seems works

thanks!