Mix with authors, co-authors and translators

Hi,

I’m using OJS3.
When an article has translators, what is common here in Brazil, it is shown in the list of authors and co-authors although it is not one of them.
For us there should be a clear separation between authors, co-authors and translators. Mostly translators.
Is there any way to make it quite clear that the translator is not an author?

Regards,

Tarcisio Pereira

1 Like

Hi,

Any response?

Regards,
Tarcisio Pereira.

Hi

The translator also appears in the citation plugin. It should only appear the authors.
Crossref xml also puts the translator as author.

Rergards,
Tarcisio Pereira.

Also related: DC.Creator.PersonalName incorrect if there are Translators among Contributors · Issue #3962 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

A proposal for normalizing the taxonomy of contributor roles: Connect with CASRAI CRediT standard · Issue #857 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

1 Like

Note that translators are separated with a semicolon, authors with a comma. But I agree that it should be more transparent for readers.

The distinction between semicolon and comma is based on OJS’s “user groups” and the structure of the Submission::getAuthorNames() function:

When listing “author” (contributor?) names, when the user group (contributor role?) changes, we add a “semicolon” (or whatever the overrides the semicolon); when operating within the user group, we add a “comma” (or whatever overrides the comma).

Note that if you check the option “Show role title in contributor list” in Users & Roles → Roles → Translator → Edit, this adds the text “(Translator)” (or translation) to the the Article view and to the DC.Creator.PersonalName in the metadata. The CrossRef export and Citation Plugin remains in error.

1 Like

Hi @ctgraham

Thank you by this information.
I will verify if its satisfy journal editor.

Regards,
Tarcisio Pereira.

Hi @ctgraham

I check the option “Show role title in contributor list”.
But it’s only show role in issue article list, not in the article view.
From what I understand it should also show in the article, right?

Regards,
Tarcisio Pereira

You are correct. The Issue TOC uses the getAuthorString() as does the inline Dublin Core metadata (until 3.2), but the Article details and the Dublin Core metadata plugin explicitly calls getFullName().

Hi @ctgraham

So, it’s a bug?
How article details can be edited to show group description too?

Regards,
Tarcisio Pereira.

Yes, this is a bug, and unfortunately raises some fairly deep questions regarding how contributor roles map against user roles and metadata exposure.

If you are comfortable editing PHP, for a quick fix on just the Article details page, you could change the current getFullName() call to add the output of the author’s title, similar to what the Submission::getAuthorString() does:

2 Likes

@ctgraham

Thank you.

Tarcisio Pereira.

Hi @ctgraham, the bug has been reported from the very beginning (of OJS3) :slight_smile:
See e.g. OJS3: User Roles
It is also relevant to the Crossref plugin:
CrossRef export: contributor_role="translator" is not used

May we hope it will be fixed sooner or later? :slight_smile:

3 Likes