Unexpected error on any change in version 3.2.0-1

Version: 3.2.0-1

Issue description:

On clean installation, after I make any changes in the settings (for example upload custom style sheet) or change the theme color, I get the following error:

An unexpected error occurred. You may have been logged out. Please reload the page and try again.

My error log is immediately after installing the app full of warnings, most common one being “PHP Warning: Creating default object from empty value”.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issues? Is there some solution available to it?

Thanks,
Martin

Hi @martinhlavacka,

This appears to be the same issue as the one described here:

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

I am still facing this issue. In the Apache error log, I see this error message:

[access_compat:error] [pid 13805] [client xx.xx.xx.xx:51977] AH01797: client denied by server configuration: /var/www/multi/xx/htdocs/public/index.php, referer: https://xx.xyz.xx/index.php/socialinteraction/management/settings/website

Does anyone know about any solution to that?

The publication error was due to a conflict in the representations of the database tables:
Message: DB Error: Illegal mix of collations (utf8_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation ‘=’ Query: SELECT i.*
FROM issues i,
submissions a
LEFT JOIN publications p ON (p.publication_id = a.current_publication_id)
LEFT JOIN publication_settings ps ON (ps.publication_id = p.publication_id)
WHERE ps.setting_name = ? AND ps.setting_value = CAST(i.issue_id as CHAR) AND
a.submission_id = ? AND
a.context_id = i.journal_id

We solve this problem like this:

ALTER TABLE issues CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE submissions CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE publications CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE publication_settings CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;Screenshot_20200417_233559

Thanks for your reply Denis, but I am afraid we talk about different type of errors. Mine is probably related to session management while yours was related to database collation.

Anyway - I have tried your solution, but as expected, my problem can’t be fixed this way. Or, am I overlooking something?

Hi @martinhlavacka,

The 403 Forbidden message is coming from your web server, upstream of OJS; it’s preventing the PUT request from getting through to OJS. If you’re using a security module like mod_security, it may have a rule that needs adjusting.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec
Could you please explain in a little more detail? How do I do it?
Best
Mikhail

Hi @saltmi1,

It depends on your web server and how it’s configured; it’s a web server configuration issue, not an OJS configuration issue. I suspect if you search for your web server name (e.g. Apache) and 403 Forbidden and PUT you’ll find some guidance.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hello asmecher,

Were you guys able to get a fix?

I am having thesame issue.

Here is my error:
Error

My PHP Log outputs this:

I have even checked the Web as you recommended and what i got was to modify my htaccess file. Which i also tried:

But all to no avail.

Please what else do you think i should try?

I have somehow gotten it to work.

I noticed something, with OJS 3.2.X, the words “select”, “selected”, “selecting” “random” causes OJS to experience some difficulties.

If you are experiencing any of these issues below;

1. When trying to submit a paper, the submission does not go through, the processing circle icon just keep revolving
  2. An unexpected error occurred. You may have been logged out. Please reload the page and try again.
  3. Clicking on a button hangs and keep processing into infinity

Then, double check for the following words in what ever you are trying to submit into OJS: “select”, “selected”, “selecting” “random”. These are the words in have noticed, there might be more.

If you have any of these words, paraphrase the sentence and change those words, and resubmit.

This worked for me 100%.

Just give it a try.

Hi @williamharper,

I’ve responded to your other post. It’s best not to post the same content in multiple places – choose the one that you think is best.

Thanks,
Alec Smecher

Oops! Am sorry.
Thanks

I’m getting the same error. Error code “An unexpected error occurred. You may have been logged out. Please reload the page and try again.” I couldn’t find the solution. I would be very glad if you could help. Journal address https://journals.gen.tr/index.php/jlecon

Hi,

At the time of published or unpublished issue in the OJS 3.2.1.4, it stays loading too long and it is time to reload the page again to see if I do the action.

And it shows me the following error: