Submissions dashboard not loading

I found a new problem on my OJS system. To recap, our host service provider migrated away from cpanel into something new. They said it would be transparent to the user. Spoiler, it wasn’t. The first symptom was the links to the article PDFs being broken. I fixed that by pointing the files path in the config file to where the submissions folder actually was. Thought that fixed everything, but the submissions dashboard remains down. Any ideas on what could be causing this? My PHP skills are horribly outdated and I’m not up on MVC architecture so my ability to trace through the code is limited at best. Thanks in advance for your help. And, thanks to Alec for getting going on the last issue.

Our environment is as follows:

OJS Version 3.1.01
PHP 5.6
Apache
MySQL with Maria DB ver 10.2.29-MariaDB

Hi @ACastelletto,

(Cross-posted: Links to Articles Broken - #5 by ACastelletto)

To debug a submissions dashboard that’s not loading, check your PHP error log (for server-side errors), and your browser’s Javascript error console (for client-side ones).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thanks. I’m getting the following error:
Tue Dec 10 15:51:31 2019] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 67744:tid 140107050899200] [client 185.87.122.194:42727] AH01071: Got error ‘Primary script unknown\n’

The way I interpret this is that’s like a 404 not found error.

Would reinstalling OJS solve the problem? It really seems like our service provider confused OJS. Thanks for all your help.

Hi @ACastelletto,

Hmm, that message is definitely coming from something above OJS. Searching for AH01071 turns up some messages relating to Apache configuration. I’d suggest asking your host about it – but I don’t think reinstalling OJS is likely to solve it.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

That gives me to go on. Plus, it fits with their migration. They did this wholesale reconfiguration of their Infrastructure as Service platform. That means a reconfiguration of Apache.

Alec, our host provider keeps the logs separated away where I couldn’t look at them, but they were able to watch me hit the submissions directory and capture the error message. It reads as:
[Tue Dec 10 23:03:58 2019] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 66718:tid 140107238004480] [client 73.71.100.180:44808] AH01071: Got error ‘PHP message: PHP Fatal error: Uncaught exception ‘PDOException’ with message ‘SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] No such file or directory’ in /chroot/home/rorylb/cphomeorig/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/illuminate/database/Illuminate/Database/Connectors/Connector.php:47\nStack trace:\n#0 /chroot/home/rorylb/cphomeorig/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/illuminate/database/Illuminate/Database/Connectors/Connector.php(47): PDO->__construct(‘mysql:host=;dbn…’, ‘rorylb_ojs’, ‘OUR_DB_PASSWORD…’, Array)\n#1 /chroot/home/rorylb/cphomeorig/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/illuminate/database/Illuminate/Database/Connectors/MySqlConnector.php(20): Illuminate\Database\Connectors\Connector->createConnection(‘mysql:host=;dbn…’, Array, Array)\n#2 /chroot/home/rorylb/cphomeorig/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/illuminate/database/Illuminate/Database/Connectors/ConnectionFactory.php(59): Illuminate\Database\Connectors\MySqlConnector->connect(Array)\n#3 /chroot/home/rorylb/cphomeorig/public_html/journa…\n’

The way I’m interpreting the error is that while the part of the ojs/server stack that handles links to articles is happy with /home/rorylb/ojs_submissions, that the more privileged part is expected the full system path which is "/chroot/home/rorylb’. The problem is that logging into our normal account, one cannot see the that chroot path with our account’s privileges.

Anything you can tell me would be very helpful. I’m pretty irate at Liquid Web for whatever the heck it was they did during their cutover.

Also, Alec, I want to thank you for assistance with this problem. I would never been able to this far along without your help. Thank you very much.

Hi @ACastelletto,

The reference to PDO in the error message does help narrow it down. The current OJS codebase uses one of two different approaches to connect to the database, depending on what part of the system you’re using – either the mysqli driver for older parts of the system, or PDO for newer parts, including the submission lists. The latter is having trouble connecting.

I’d suggest asking your host if they support PDO database connections, and quoting that error message.

Best of luck – I think you’re nearly there!

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Our host provider confirms that we have PDO installed and that it’s up and running.

Solved! We had to put ‘localhost’ in the config file for the database location. That took care of everything. Thanks for your patience and all your help, Alec.

1 Like