RSS feed generate for current and archived issues

I need to generate rss and atom feed of all the issues seprately for inclusion of my journal in journalTOC indexing. I was previously using OJS 2.4.8 and it was there in plugin, however, I could not find the same in OJS 3.0.8 after upgradation. Can anyone help me to generate rss and atom feed of the same

Hi @joapreditor,

Check your version of OJS – there is no OJS 3.0.8.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thanks @asmecher
I apologize for the mistake, mine is 3.0.2

Hi @joapreditor,

Have you tried the Web Feed plugin? It should be included in your OJS 3.0.2.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

hello @asmecher
I have searched in settings/website settings/plugins and could not find web feed plugin. Kindly guide me in this regard

Hi @joapreditor,

It should be under Settings > Website > Plugins, in the Generic category, called “Web Feed Plugin”.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hello @asmecher
I have searched there. But it is not present over there. Can I download it and install it separately. I have checked web feed plugin number of times. However it is not present in my settings

Hi @joapreditor,

Is there anything in the plugins/generic/webFeed/ directory in your OJS installation? If not, then someone must’ve deleted the plugin on your installation. You can get it again from the .tar.gz file for your version of OJS.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks @asmecher
I will check it and let you know.

hello @asmecher
When I checked installation folder of OJS 3.0.2 downloaded from pkp website, the web feed plugin is available under generic plugins. However, its readme file states about this plugin as “This plugin for OJS 2 provides a set of syndication feeds for the current issue in RSS1.0/RDF and Atom formats. Feed links are embedded into the HTML header for the current issue and are available to all RSS/Atom-aware browsers and aggregators as per standard web specificatins.”

Do you believe, this will work in OJS 3.0.2

hello @asmecher
It worked. I uploaded the webfeed folder in ojs 3 setup to cpanel in generic plugin folder and it worked. However, I wish to download the rss feed of current issue and archived issues. How can I download the same

Hi @joapreditor,

Do you mean a feed of issues (rather than articles)?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Ya @asmecher
I wish to download RSS of full issue

Hi @joapreditor,

It sounds like you want RSS feeds containing articles, but available by issue. Currently the feed can be set to either present the most recent X articles, or present the table of contents from the current issues. To extend this to provide back-issue content, you’d need to alter the code (plugins/generic/webFeed).

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like

Hello @asmecher
Kindly guide me with code as I am not a coding expert. Previously our journal was using ojs 2.4.8 in which RSS and atom feeds were shown in pages itself. Can’t I get RSS feed like that in ojs 3.0.2

Hi @joapreditor,

The OJS 2.4.x RSS feed isn’t different in this regard from OJS 3.0.2. I’m not sure I’m exactly following what behavior you used to see in your old OJS that’s not reflected in the new one – can you describe it in detail? If screenshots are possible, that might help.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher
I have activated web feed plugin. In settings I have selected RSS to be shown in each page. However I cannot see RSS feed in any page. In older ojs, there used to be shown RSS and atom icon. When I used to click it, it shows feed of that page.

Hope I could explain you. I wish to see like that only so that I can generate RSS feed of issues and submit it to journalTOC for indexing

Hi @joapreditor,

It’s likely that the web feed plugin wasn’t properly installed. What folder did you upload it into? Also, when installing plugins by uploading them directly to the filesystem, you generally need to register them with OJS before they’ll work; to do this, you can run php tools/upgrade.php upgrade on the command line. (Make sure you back up your database and files before you do this.)

Usually plugins should be installed either by uploading the .tar.gz into the plugin management area of the OJS site, or by using the Plugin Gallery; both of these processes will take care of registering the plugin with the system.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Interesting but this database has included our journal without any requests from our side. Nevertheless, it doesn’t generate any additional traffic. So this database is rather useless.

hi @asmecher

When I tried to upload the webfeed.tar.gz plugin, I got this error.

Then, I uploaded the plugin to ojs site at public_html/plugins/generic and extracted it. Then from admin dashboard, settings/websites/plugin/web feed plugin, I enabled it with following settings

Still I cannot see RSS feed icon in my pages. Hope I could explain you the case

Hello @Vitaliy
Still I need to register my journal with JOurnal TOCs