Restoring OJS installation

I was using Softaculous to update my version of OJS and it encountered an error in the process. The OJS system went down. My hosting company tech support was not much help, so I used Softaculous to restore the OJS, which it automatically backs up periodically. Now it looks like I have to reinstall the OJS, but I’m afraid I will lose all of my data if I do that. Just hoping someone might have some advice before I click the install button.

Hi @trey1111,

Thanks for your post. I’m sorry that you are having difficulties. You may wish to see this post here: Beware of Softaculous for upgrades! - #2 by asmecher - it describes some of the difficulties that have been found with Softaculous upgrades. Unfortunately, we have little control over how Softaculous manages OJS upgrades (please see the post I’ve linked to for more information on why this is), but other community members may wish to weigh in with any advice they have if they have been successful with these upgrades. Do you have the capability to restore from backup and then do an upgrade outside of Softactulous? That might be the best route to go. We offer some advice on how to go about upgrading here: Managing the Server Environment (and links to the main upgrading docs). If you try this other route, outside of Softaculous, and run into issues, feel free to post them here (and please include your version number [e.g what version number you are upgrading to and from].

-Roger
PKP Team

@trey1111, what error do you have after restoring OJS from the Softaculous backup?

Thanks for the feedback. I think I lack the technical skills to get the OJS restored. It’s been down for a week and I can try to reinstall it with Softaculous, but I don’t want to lose the data, which Softaculous backed up automatically just before the site went down. Is there someone I can hire to restore it? I’ve got some authors getting impatient and need it fixed as soon as possible. Thank you!

Hi @trey1111,

Our Service Provider Directory can be found here: https://pkp.sfu.ca/service-provider-directory/ - you may find someone through there.

You can also do a separate post in the forum and see if there are any interested parties who come across your post and who may be able to work with you.

Best regards,

-Roger
PKP Team