Registration on LOCKSS with PKP PLN Plugin

Hello @Tommy_Tan. Can you share a little more information about your journal? The URL would be useful, as a start.

http://www.smartscitech.com/index.php/ICS

Hi again @Tommy_Tan.

It looks like you’re missing the Archive_Tar library. If you install PHP’s PEAR library, it should include Archive_Tar as well. Here’s a link some instructions for installing PEAR:

http://pear.php.net/manual/en/installation.getting.php

It may take a day for the PLN plugin to contact the staging server, and another full day for the server to acknowledge the journal. Once the journal receives acknowledgement, it will start packaging deposits and sending them to the server. It’s a slow process because it’s designed to have minimal impact on journals.

Hi there. We are very sure the Archive_Tar library was installed. Everything are fine after careful checking.
Now my question is whether the “Network Status: The PKP PLN is currently in pilot phase and is only accepting deposits from members of the pilot.” is wrong or correct? Because mjordan said “The network status message is incorrect; I think we can change it on our end between version releases and if so will update it today. I’ll confirm that when I get into the office.”. So now we are really confused whether the wrong Network Status is from our side or your side since we haven’t got confirmation from mjordan.
Thank you.

Hi mjordan,

Would you update your work on the Network status issue?

Thank you.

We’re investigating, please stay tuned.

@Tommy_Tan of the 69 journals that are currently either ready to deposit to the network or are already making deposits, yours in the first we know of that is receiving the “Network Status: The PKP PLN is currently in pilot phase and is only accepting deposits from members of the pilot” message. Since you are running OJS 2.4.8 you should not be seeing this message. The cause of this is likely a combination of some peculiarity with your journal, most likely not a problem or a bug, just something we haven’t accounted for in how the PLN tools on our end respond to requests to make deposits.

We’ll work it out, and we thank you for your assistance so far. The developer who is most qualified to troubleshoot this is away today, and tomorrow and Monday are holidays here, so I regret to say we won’t be able to investigate further until he returns on Tuesday. We will contact you when we have an update on what we think is going on.

Thank you,

Mark

@mjordan, I see this same message in our 2.4.8+ journals with the PKP PLN plugin enabled.

Surely this must be coming from the server? I don’t see the message anywhere in the local codebase.

Yes, it’s coming from the server, but it shouldn’t be if your journals are running 2.4.8. I need @mjoyce to investigate. Thanks for letting me know you see it too.

Thank you. Expect to have a perfect solution for that.

Any new update? Thanks.

Nope, and like I said, there won’t be until at least Tuesday. Thanks.

Hi there. Let me update my findings about PLN Plugin.

1. The plugin works now on one of our journals(Network Status: The PKP PLN is currently accepting deposits.) which was enabled a couple of days ago.However, we enabled other journals just now and the network status is still as before (Network Status: The PKP PLN is currently in pilot phase and is only accepting deposits from members of the pilot.). Therefore, I believe the network status has to take a couple of days for a change or take effect. What are your ideas about it?

2. The hyperlink for “The PLN deposit statuses are described here.” (which is under the PKP PLN Plugin - Status doesn’t work.). Is there any explanation for that?

Thank you.

Inflammation and Cell Signalling has successfully registered with the staging server. It has not yet sent any deposits to us. 23 other journals from the same domain name have also contacted the server to request the network status, but have not made deposits yet. As I said above, it takes some time for the journals to update the network status and make deposits.

It still looks like the PHP library Archive_Tar is missing for your OJS instance, or that OJS isn’t able to load it. Journals will not be able to make deposits without that library.

I’ll be looking into the network status messaging later today, although I think the next time your journals request the network status, they will get the correct message.

Would you take a look of the screenshot of the ICS journal? I am not sure what the status is? Does the deposit work now on this journal? Thank you for staying with us.

The attached is the status of other journals. Those journals’ status were changed at noon today.

Could you let us know whether our PLN plugin is working on deposit from the above screenshots? Thank you.
BTW, we are pretty sure that PHP library Archive_Tar was installed.

In the first screen shot, it looks like the first three issues of your journal have been successfully packaged into three deposit files. Your sever has not notified our staging server of them yet. The last item in the list has an error, although I cannot tell from here what the error is. You can click the Reset button on the last line, and the plugin will attempt to redo the deposit.

If your issues are large (many images, for example), then packaging up a deposit may take some time. Once the issues have been packaged, the plugin will attempt to notify our server that they are ready. I have checked our logs, and it doesn’t look like that’s happened yet. It’ll take some time, perhaps a day or so, for that to happen.

In addition, some time in the next 24 hours the network status message should change. For your journal, it should change to “The PKP PLN can accept deposits from this journal.”

Thank you for your response. All the status of our journals have been updated to “Network Status: The PKP PLN can accept deposits from this journal.”.
The ICS status has not been updated after Click on the Rest. The attached is the new screenshot of ICS.
We have no idea about whether the deposit or packaging of the data to your server works or not. Could you check your server to make sure everything is working? Besides, please let us know where we can find the archive? Is there any website we or authors can visit to retrieve the articles?

@Tommy_Tan WRT your question about accessing the preserved articles, PKP and one or more of its partners will be setting up an “access node” in the near future where the content of the journals preserved in the PKP PLN will be made available to the public. A journal will only be made available in these access nodes after a “trigger event”, which we generally define as something that makes the original journal permanently unavailable like it disappearing off of the face of the web (and after we cannot contact the primary journal contact) or if a journal manager contacts us and tells us the journal is folding up and going out of business. Trigger events, and the overall model for accessing content preserved in the PLN, is available at https://pkp.sfu.ca/pkp-lockss/.

Mark