Pay per view in OJS 3.1

Thanks asmecher, but you probably meant PayPal payments then? The question, however, was about manual payments. It is the fact that OJS 3.2.1 does not have pay-per-view for manual payments. There’s no additional feature whatsoever for manual payments in any version of OJS so upgrade won’t do the trick.

What’s the manual payment option for, really? It would be more honest from developers if you just called it “no payments” but it seems you tried to make it sound like an alternative to PayPal, but it’s not. It’s nothing really - no options, no features, no instructions, no technical documentation. Alone in a desert, more like it.

Which brings me back to the old question of alternative payment methods to PayPal - as there are dozens of equally or more reliable services out there nowadays - but you developers (and whoever is behind your project) seem more keen to promote PaylPal than offering a fair and truly open platform.

Glad to see you’re back from “a few weeks off” in just a day when financial matters are being questioned.

@teog, your post comes across as extremely hostile. @asmecher has taken time away from his time off to generously reply to your question.

Our code of conduct requests everyone to contribute to a positive and respectful atmosphere in this forum. Please use care and respect in the tone of your comments.

@ctgraham you know I’ve been more than positive and constructive for months. But when most important questions get ignored no matter how you rephrase them, things start to seem a little awkward.

For clarity, I have found your posts to be often insightful in identifying opportunities for improvement in UI/UX, but also often frustrated and dismissive of the developers contributing (both professionally and as volunteers) to this project. I would encourage you to express your frustration in constructive ways, especially being careful of rude jabs and snark.

The manual payments option is a carry over from OJS 2.x, where it allowed staff to note a payment on behalf of a user for subscriptions. I’m not immediately familiar with payments within OJS, but if you are not seeing a way to enter a manual payment in 3.1.2, it is likely that the implementation remains incomplete for the pay-per-view use-case.

We are a small team with limited resources trying to build and support a community around making scholarship public. We are open to plugins supporting payment methods beyond PayPal, but realistically this is most likely to come from either an interested development partner, or from sponsored development, or from the payment vendor’s developers.

Speaking as part of the PKP Technical Committee, we aim to make the process and the platform free/libre and open. Remember, though, that there are multiple perspectives and interests here. For example, you are clearly very interested in reader payments; but this section of the code is very foreign to me, as this is not a priority for my university. Nevertheless, we’re all trying to contribute together, for the best.

Me frustrated? lol Nah, I’m not the one who replies to a 2-liner with four paragraphs of text. And I’m not the one who suddenly returned from “a few weeks” off within hours after the main question was asked.

And the main question is… To recap, a wise man once said: “When in doubt, follow the money!” - so I think I’ve seen enough over the past few months to conclude that PayPal is probably behind this project, one way or another. Don’t take me wrong, it’s a nice looking project, but minus PayPal. With PayPal/lack of transparency (and you guys making sure it’s just PayPal and nothing else - not even manual payments), it’s not a project but a Trojan Horse made by PayPal Inc. to get behind the enemy lines, in what must look to PayPal as a little new business adventure. Simple as that. Real motivation usually is best hidden in plain sight.

After all, the fast-growing industry of 30,000+ academic journals is a new market that a finance business like PayPal would love to tap into. And they did, didn’t they? I mean, 2+ million articles per year times all the fees, royalties, intellectual property gray areas and so on - makes for some head-spinning amounts of cash. It’s in the tens of billions, annually. Imagine if all that spilled into PayPal’s purse, slowly but surely, under the auspices of the humanitarian, open society, equality for all (except when it comes to dough), blah blah… Not to mention 10s if not 100s of millions tahat PKP already placed into the PayPal bank accounts starting from OJS2 - was it a decade ago? All while you guys play the Oh-We’re-So-Poor-Practically-Homeless-Developers-Who-Do-This-Out-Of-Kindness-From-Our-Hearts, Mother-Theresa type of gig…

Don’t bother showing me the exit. I already requested that my account be closed.

Happy trails. Sorry you seem to be exiting on a sour note.

You, or any future readers, can “follow the money” for PKP with our public Annual Reports, available here:
https://pkp.sfu.ca/about/organization/

If PayPal is secretly funding us, they are doing a spectacular job hiding it, and we are doing a terrible job setting them up for a windfall of the scholcomm market with our commitment to reimagining scholarly publication as a cooperative and open endeavor.

1 Like