Pay per view in OJS 3.1

Hello all,

I know this has been asked before but there were no clear answers.

Here we go: is there any way to implement a pay per view solution in OJS 3.1?
The idea is that some articles in our journal are free and some are not and we don’t want the user to have to subscribe to the journal in order to access only one article.

If this is not possible at this point, are there plans to make this happen in the foreseeable future? Maybe in the form of a plugin?

Thanks for your help.

Hi @whatsnew,

We don’t have any concrete plans for this, but the payment structure in OJS is fairly flexible and much of it will accommodate the kind of interaction you describe. The missing pieces OTOH would be the ability to define a single-purchase price for content (either article or galley), access controls for purchased content, and additions to the existing purchase code to support this alongside subscription purchase. Pay per view is already implemented in OMP so much of that work would be porting those elements from OMP into the shared library that both OJS and OMP share, along with some hooks into OJS to make use of them. I’d be happy to review PRs to add this.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alec,

Please confirm pay-per-view is not available in 3.x? Can you share with us other features that are not implemented in 3.x that were in 2.x? Pay-per-view brings needed revenue!

Thanks, radjr

Hi @radjr,

Pay-per-view is not currently available in OJS 3.1. There are a handful of other features and plugins that are not yet available, e.g. SWORD support and Lucene support (both coming soon).

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec, Any idea when it will be available? Thanks!

Hi @radjr,

Not at the moment – see above.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Alec, I guess I am confused. Why would you have functionality in 2.x and not carry it into 3.x? And, all your questions were defined in 2.x pay per view.

Hi @radjr,

Certain functionality that was in OJS 2.x (the Objects For Review, SWORD, and Lucene plugins; gift, fast-track, and pay-per-view payment handling; double-sidebar layout options; etc) were not rewritten for OJS 3.x. Some of these are concretely planned for OJS 3.x – for example, the SWORD plugin is already underway. Third parties are tackling others, e.g. the Lucene plugin at Free University Berlin. Other elements do not yet have concrete plans e.g. the pay-per-view functionality.

We are limited in developer resources and prioritizing what makes the cut is a constant challenge. Essentially pay-per-view has limited use in our community and is less central to our mandate. We’re always open to co-development in the spirit of open source.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I guess the answer to my question is that 2.x and 3.x are substantially different architectures?

What do you need to make this happen?

Hi @radjr,

What do you need to make this happen?

The best case would be for someone to develop this functionality and submit it for review/inclusion via Github as an open source contribution, as that would represent minimal burden for the PKP dev team. (Make sure you’re working with someone reputable if you do this, and ideally with at least a little bit of OJS experience.)

Failing that, PKP Publishing Services does contract work, generally in a way that rolls the results into the next release of the open source project.

Thanks,
Alec Smecher

please pm me directly so we can discuss. Thanks!

Hi Alec, has Pay-per-view been implemented in OJS 3.x yet? Thanks!

Hi @radjr,

No, not yet, I’m afraid.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Alec, why does the 3.x demo show the following?

Reader Fees

Selected options, along with their descriptions and fees (which can be edited below), will appear in About the Journal under Policies, as well as at points where payment is required.

Purchase Issue

Purchase Article

Only Restrict Access to PDF version of issues and articles

Hi @radjr (& others),

I’ve reviewed the settings and done some testing and I’m happy to report that OJS 3.1.2-1 does support pay-per-view! There is one cosmetic issue that you may want to patch ([OJS 3.1.1] Article button doesn't change style in case of login - #5 by asmecher) – a fix is available there, and will be fixed in the next release of OJS.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

OMG, Bless you Alec! You are a lifesaver! Thanks. We can now migrate!

Do you know when the patch that is discussed will be included in the released version?

Many thanks!

Hi @radjr,

Our next releases will be OJS 3.1.2-2 and 3.2.0, and the patch will be included in both. The 3.2.0 release is planned for late this year, and 3.1.2-2 will likely come out before that, but specific scheduling is discretionary (we generally wait for either an accumulation of small issues, or a few big ones, to justify a release). In the meantime there’s a patch at the link above that you can apply to the latest release that will resolve it.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

@ asmecher Since OJS 3.1.2 and OJS 3.1.2-1 are essentially same, is there a quick fix that implements the pay-per-view feature in OJS 3.1.2 as well?

Secondly, does the pay-per-view work with manual payments? (We still didn’t get PayPal to work in OJS 3.1.2.)

Finally, I suggested in another request that we be enabled creating one-time download links for the purchaser - both for automated and manual payments. Any plans for that?

Hi @teog,

Pay-per-view is already in OJS 3.1.2, but given the various fixes and tweaks that went into OJS 3.1.2-1, you might consider upgrading anyway.

Regards,
Alec Smecher