Forum Guidelines and Code of Conduct

PKP supports and maintains our Community Forum as a resource for our user community to learn more about PKP software, seek advice from other users of the software, and provide suggestions on improvements to PKP’s software and services. PKP staff are active participants on the Forum, but we encourage all members of the PKP community to participate actively, share their knowledge, and help other users.

The Forum guidelines aim to help our members have positive and productive experiences on the Forum, ensure the privacy of our members, encourage responsible use of our forums, and discourage activities which disrupt our community. If you have any questions or feedback on these guidelines, please contact us.

Code of Conduct

Use of our Forum constitutes acceptance and agreement to PKP’s Code of Conduct, which governs all of PKP’s community spaces. Please review the Code of Conduct and help us create a welcoming, positive, respectful environment for all Forum participants.

Spam

Spamming is prohibited on our Forum. Spam includes, but is not limited to, the following:

• Excessive off-topic threads
  • Messages without content, with nonsensical content, or with links to unrelated content
  • Flooding the forum with repetitive messages
  • Post-Count farming
  • Inciting forum wars
  • Fraudulent activity

Advertising

Advertisements are not appropriate on the Forum. This includes, but is not limited to, announcements of products, services, and free trials by those who stand to gain from such announcements.

As the PKP Forum is primarily a place to offer and receive free troubleshooting and support, users should not offer any fee-based services to support or develop PKP software except when a Forum user makes an explicit request for paid support or development services. In this case, a service provider can respond with brief information about the services they offer and contact information.

Announcements of conferences, workshops, new publications, and position openings appropriate to the topic of the Forum are allowed.

If a large percentage of your posts include a mention of your product or website, your posts will be removed.

Private Messages

If you have a question, please post it as a new topic on the forum. Do not send a private message to a user. Publicly posted topics allow all users to see the question, offer advice, and benefit from the information offered in the responses.

In some cases, PKP staff may request that you send certain information to them privately via the private message feature (e.g. error logs, files, etc.) in order to assist in troubleshooting. However, in all other cases, communication should be done publicly on the forum.

Terms of Use

You may not use our Forum for illegal purposes, in support of illegal activities, or encourage activities that would constitute a criminal offense under Canadian law. See our legal Terms of Use for more information.

Privacy

You may not post any form of personal information of a user unless the user has first permitted it by express consent. Examples of real life information include name, address, IP addresses, and phone numbers.

Do not share any information that could compromise the security of your site or the privacy of your users.

Keep the Forum Tidy

If you make the effort to put things in the right place, we can spend more time discussing and less cleaning up. So:

• Before you post your question, check out the user guides and video tutorials at PKP Docs and search the forum to see if someone else had the same question.
  • Don’t start a topic in the wrong category.
  • Don’t cross-post the same thing in multiple topics.
  • Don’t post no-content replies.
  • Don’t divert a topic by changing it midstream.

Rather than posting “+1” or “Agreed”, use the Like button. Rather than taking an existing topic in a radically different direction, use Reply as a New Topic.

If You See a Problem, Flag It

Moderators have special authority; they are responsible for this forum. But so are you. When you see behavior that opposes these guidelines, please flag it. Moderators are notified when content is flagged and will take action.

In order to maintain our community, moderators reserve the right to remove any content and any user account for any reason at any time. Moderators do not preview new posts in any way; the moderators and site operators take no responsibility for any content posted by the community.

2 Likes

Hi. I wanted to check if it’s okay to reply to very old threads? Normally I find discussions by Googling, I don’t follow the forum regularly. I assumed it was positive to use the existing discussion for context instead of starting a new thread duplicating the topic. I also thought anyone previously involved in the conversation would like to be notified of new developments. But recently I experienced a thread being locked for further discussion after I had “revived” it. I didn’t see any specific guidelines in the code of conduct, reason why I’m asking. Thank you.

I usually see the use of old topics as positive.

Where I see it might be better to close the topic:

• Issue resolved (e.g. correction made available, doubt clarified…)
  • Subject is being discussed elsewhere (eg an issue, or other topic with better information)

Of course we will have some inappropriate uses, but it doesn’t seem to me that they would occur less with recent topics.

3 Likes