OJS3: Native XML import

Hi!

We’ve come upon the following issues while trying to import one of our journals:

1. There seems to be no way to import a full issue galley. The XML part for it looks like this:

But after the import procedure is over, this galley is missing. As far as I know, this issue has not yet been addressed anywhere. The error is this:

> HP Fatal error: Call to a member function setDeployment() on null in …plugins/importexport/native/filter/NativeXmlIssueFilter.inc.php

1. During the import all the recurrent section titles are repeated in Settings → Journal → Sections the number of times they occur in different issues. I believe this issue should have been addressed here: https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/issues/1709
    But please, let me know, if it is not my case.

2. If some article has no author, the issue gets cut off on this article during the import.

3. If the issue number is a string (“1-2” in our case), the issue is not imported.
    The articles imported

4. The articles imported are not available for any type of search (not indexed?)

Best,
Ivan

Just another issue: The articles imported seem to be unavailable for any type of search.
Search functionality (both general and by author) just does not seem to work for all those articles imported.
I cannot even filter them by date.

Hi @Ph_We,

I’ve filed this for attention over here:

Meanwhile, you can manually re-index your content by running…

php tools/rebuildSearchIndex.php

Note that search results are cached for 24 hours, so you might also need to flush your data cache (as site administrator) before new content shows up for searches you’ve recently executed.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

1 Like

Hi @asmecher,

Thank you, I’ll try! Just to make sure, have you noticed the other 4 issues I mentioned in the first message?

@Ph-We, s. this comment https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/issues/1709#issuecomment-249539436 and please follow that issue for further steps and solutions to those problems…
THANKS!
Bozana

Hi @asmecher,

Would you please specify, whether we should run it from web-server or root?

Best,
Ivan

Hi @Ph_We,

You will run this on the command line, from your OJS folder on the server.

Best,
Bozana

1 Like

Hi @bozana,

Thank you very much. The correct usage in our case was
su www-data -s /bin/bash -c 'php tools/rebuildSearchIndex.php'

Now the search function seems to work correctly. The only flaw I observe is that I cannot filter all articles by years (say, from 2014 to 2016).

Hi @bozana and @asmecher,

I think, I’ve found another issue (sorry :)).
After importing issues, the authors’ names are not displayed in article lists. Here is an example:

Looking for some possible cause for this, I found that the option “In Browse Lists” appeared to be unchecked for all those authors, whose articles were imported:

Now, the question is this: is there a way to enable this option for all authors when importing?
And why this option was introduced in OJS3?

Best,
Ivan

Hi @Ph_We

Thanks for reporting this one! I will take a look and add it to the list of import/export issues…

Best,
Bozana

Hi @Ph_We,

I double checked the authors XML import options. There is an attribute “include_in_browse” for the element “author” that should be set to “true”, if you want to display the author. Thus, you will have to use this attribute for each author XML element.

Best,
Bozana

1 Like

Hi @bozana,

There seem to be no element for article pages in schema. So these can be neither exported, nor imported.
Sorry for dubbing it here, I would just like to let all the others know about this issue.

@Ph_We

Just to inform you that the element is added and changes merged into master and ojs-stable-3_0_0 branch…

Thanks!
Bozana

1 Like

Hi @bozana,

Thank you so much!!

Hi @bozana,

I have 3 questions:

1. How do we define an author’s role (e.g. ‘translator’)?
  2. Is there an element for keywords? (I think, it may be an issue)
  3. Is there an element for mailing address?

Thanks!
Ivan

Hi @Ph_We

1. The user_group_ref attribute of the author element should be used for that, i.e. for example user_group_ref="Translator", where user group name should be used as the value – the default is “Translator”, I think, but you can see it in your roles list.
  2. Yes, I think you are right, I added it to the issue https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/issues/1709
  3. Do you mean for author? No, there is also no such metadata field.

Thanks!
Bozana

Hi @bozana,

Thank you. As to the mailing address, yes, I meant the author’s one.

Best,
Ivan

Hi @bozana,

I’m really sorry to bug you again about this, but that keyword issue seems to be the last ‘sine qua non’ for our editors. They refuse to transfer their journals without keywords :slight_smile:

Could you please tell when that element might be added. Thank you.

Best,
Ivan

Sorry @Ph_We for the delay, but there was so much other work with higher priority to finish. I will take a look at that next.
Best,
Bozana

1 Like

Hi @bozana,

Am I right, that the issue with keywords has now been solved?