OJS3: Native XML import

Hi @Ph_We

Yes, you are right :slight_smile:

Best,
Bozana

1 Like

@bozana, please accept most sincere gratitudes from me and all my colleagues :slight_smile:

Best,
Ivan

Thanks a lot Ivan! :-)))))

I have a site with 2.4.5 versio, i have exported the issues in xml but now when i want to import them in ojs 3 I can not, I receive the message: Element ‘issue’: No matching global declaration available for the validation root. Please What to do?

Hi @fidel_c_d,

The OJS2 and OJS3 XML formats are not compatible; you can’t import OJS2 XML into OJS3.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

I was just thinking the other day, that a lot of these problems would be solved, if someone just took the OJS2 xml export plugin and made a new version of it which would export OJS3 compatible XML from OJS2.

Having done the excel to xml conversion script (GitHub - ajnyga/tsvConverter: Excel to OJS3 XML conversion tool) I do not think there would be that many changes required. Many editors would be probably be happy if they could just export/import the published articles.

Not raising my hand for volunteering though :smiley:

Hi all,

Actually, @ajnyga, I think the “nicest” solution would be an XSL that transformed OJS2 XML into OJS3 XML – but every time I try to write XSL a week disappears and I start to wish I were actually on fire.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

This was explored at the 2017 Sprint in Montreal.

One of the challenges would be maintaining this XSLT across versions, leading Mark and Dimitris to instead propose a vagrant box which uses the existing toolsets (OJS v2 XML, upgrade, OJS v3 XML) to serve as a toolkit for converting between versions:

Yes I worked a little with XSLT when doing the embedGalley plugin last spring. Not a pleasant memory.

I think that with Vagrant the problem is that it is fairly complicated to use. To be honest, I am not sure how the conversion is actually working - I mean if I would have a OJS2 journal, what should I do. I think that the users who ask for a way to export OJS2 articles to OJS3 are users who are not comfortable with the upgrade process or have encountered problems there they can not solve and these users are probably also not comfortable with running vagrant.

For these kinds of users a simple OJS2 plugin would be probably much easier to use, but it is of course vulnerable to the version changes @ctgraham mentioned.