[OJS 3.3] Google analytics

Greetings,

I was trying to set up google analytics for our journal.
Our journal is has multiple journals in the same installation and i wanted each one to be tracked separately. I’ve seen some tutorials and threads but i still some questions (because of the upgrade to google analytics 4).
Where the plugin asks for the account number should i use ‘Measurement ID’ in Data Streams.
By having multiple data streams can i track all my journals?

Best regards,
José Nobre

Hi @josenobre,

If you’re looking to track each journal separately, then you’ll likely want to have different Measurement IDs. Please consult with the Google Analytics Documentation on the best practice for this.

You’ll want to add your [Tracking ID or Measurement ID] (Tracking ID and property number - Analytics Help) to the Google Analytics Plugin on OJS can be found by going to Settings > Website > Plugin

I hope that this clarification is helpful, but please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Kind Regards,
Patricia
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @pmangahis

I believe to already have set the Measurement IDs correctly.
I’ve multiple different data streams and set the Measurement IDs accordingly but I’ve yet to receive any data.
The journal is still in a preparation stage in which it isn’t searchable and can only be accessed via direct link, may that be the reason?

Best regards,
José Nobre

Hi @josenobre,

Yes, it could be possible. I would suggest doing a check on your Google Analytics dashboard 24 hours after your journals are live to see if any data is being collected at that point.

Kind Regards,
Patricia

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Help with Gmail Setting

It seems that the GA tag are added outside of the tag?

Hi @pmangahis ,

I added the measurement ID to the GA plugin on my OJS installation. I checked 24h later but my Google Analytics dashboard is still with no data.
Should I have to do something on my installation ( it’s 3.3.0.8)? I already have other journals that have tracking ID, and are collecting data normally, this is the first journal with measurement ID.

Kind regards,
Kelly

Hi @keellyayala,

If journals using the Tracking ID are gathering stats normally, I would suggest using a Tracking ID for this journal as well rather than the Measurement ID.

I will confirm with our developers whether Measurement IDs are currently supported by the plugin. Can you try using the tracking ID and see if the issue persists? If you need some help with the tracking ID please see What happened to my Tracking ID? - Analytics Help

Kind Regards,
Patricia

1 Like

Hi @keellyayala,

Confirming that the Google Analytics plugin currently only supports Tracking IDs. The custom header plugin might be an easy way to add support for analytics options beyond those that are in the plugin.

Kind Regards,
Patricia

1 Like

Thank you, Patricia!

You helped me a lot! I’ll use tracking ID again.

Kind regards,
Kelly

This topic was automatically closed after 17 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.