OJS 3.1: Reviewer can see author name after review complete

An issue on our OJS 3.1 installation was pointed out by a reviewer - after completing their review and returning to their home page, they were then able to see the writer’s name above the paper title on “My QueueMy Assigned”.

I was able to replicate this problem on each of the 3 journals hosted on our site.

Is there any way to stop this happening? Reviewers should never be able to see the writer names, even after completing reviews.

Hi @marukomu,

I am not experiencing that problem. I am not sure I guess that is the setting “Double blind review” (settings → workflow → review, section Review Options). You can verify if that helps.

Regards, Primož

Thanks for responding. Yes, I already have that set to “Double Blind Review” - still same problem.

Could not replicate this with my test installation with 3.1.

Are you sure you are using 3.1 and not 3.0.1. With 3.0.1 there was a somewhat similar problem back in January: [OJS] Upgrading to OJS3: reviewers can see the names of the authors · Issue #2195 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub. Could of course be that this is not related.

Definitely 3.1.0.0. - we upgraded from 3.02 three weeks ago.

Same problem here. OJS 3.1 installation, upgraded from 3.0.2. I checked the “double-blind” option both in the workflow page and in the reviewer invitation, and the authors’ names show up in “My Assigned” for the reviewers.

Follow-up: I checked review_method values in review_assingments table, and they’re all set to ‘2’. I don’t know if this is relevant, but we’re using PostgreSQL in our system.

@bozana I think this is worth checking. Could be related to the vue.js changes as well @NateWr?

I’m also not able to reproduce this. We don’t perform any checks on the review type (blind, open, etc). We just hide the author name for any user when they have a review assignment on that submission.

To help us diagnose what’s happening here, @lcduarte and @marukomu can you provide some more information?

1. Go into the user profile for the reviewer with which you’re testing, and let us know all the roles the user has?
  2. Go into the Administration > System Information and verify that you’re using OJS 3.1.
  3. In the same System Information screen, under Server Information, what database driver are you using?
  4. What stage are the submissions in where you’re seeing this issue? Are they all still showing as in Review stage or have they been advanced to a future stage?
  5. Are the reviews in question in the currently active Review Round?
  6. Has the review request been declined by the reviewer?

@NateWr, in answer to your questions:

1. I created two users for testing, when one of our reviewers flagged the problem. I have just checked both user profiles, and they have roles Author, Reviewer, and Reader., just as the reviewer that warned me.

2. Current version: 3.1.0.0 (November 2, 2017 - 09:29 AM)

3. Database driver postgres
    Database server version PostgreSQL 9.6.2 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.8.2 20140120 (Red Hat 4.8.2-16), 64-bit

4. Author name appears to the reviewer when the submission has been attributed, both before and after he accepts. The name still appears even after the submission is archived.

5. Yes.

6. No.

@NateWr - your answers:

1. One was “Author, Reviewer”, another was the same plus “Reader”
  2. 3.1.0.0 3 1 0 0 2017-11-04
  3. OS platform Linux
    PHP version 5.6.30
    Apache version Apache
    Database driver mysql
    Database server version 5.5.58-cll
  4. As far as I can see, the name appears after the reviewer has agreed to review.
  5. Yes
  6. No

Thanks @lcduarte and @marukomu. I’ve been able to reproduce this. It occurs when the reviewer also has both the Reviewer and Author roles – probably a fairly common situation. I’ve filed a critical issue to ensure this is fixed as soon as possible:

4 Likes

Thanks a lot - much appreciated!

Thank you, @NateWr! I’ll watch the issue tracker.

Unfortunately I have the same problem.
In our OJS many reviewers have to be authors too.

Zrzut ekranu (11)
Zrzut ekranu (13)

I’ve prepared a fix for this, which you can see in this PR:

For those unable to apply the commit manually, I believe we will be releasing an urgent update for this soon.

Many thanks for the fast followup @NateWr… I’ll wait for the update to be released.

thank you, we applied this patch and authors name dissapeared (one remained :/)

However, some articles are not showing its title. It is something regarding chosen language, as you can see bellow… would this be the expected behaviour?

regards

english

portuguese

italian

spanish

we applied this patch and authors name dissapeared (one remained :/)

Can you provide any more detail about the one that remained? What roles does the current user have on that submission? Do they have any stage assignments?

some articles are not showing its title

The submission list will look for a title in the current language. If it can’t find one, it will then look for a title in the journal’s primary language. If it can’t find that, it will return an empty string. You can see the localize function used in the submission list here:

And that’s called in the SubmissionListItem component here:

Hii,
I aslo installed the latest version of OJS (3.1) and have a same problem. After uploading a file/journal and choosing double blinde option, editor is able to see my name in Submissions - My assigned. Is there any way to resolve this problem, and if there is any solution, can you please write me what exactly have to do? Capture

Thank you in advance.