OJS 3.1: Reviewer can see author name after review complete

Hi
I have same problem. Some reviewers can access using the link of the View All Submission Details, see image.
How can I solve this problem?
Thanks in advance,
Best
Gökmen
Adsız

uhmm, maybe it show search through all the languages available for submission, defined in the site language form shown bellow, before giving up an empty string…

how could this be done in the JS file? I can not find it on the source code :confused:

thank you

the user have just the author role. It’s submission is in the second round…

the user have just the author role

What roles does the reviewer of the submission have? And what stage assignments do they have (ie - are they assigned as a Participant to any stage, and if so, as what role)?

@NateWr, I upgraded our system to OJS v3.1.0-1. Reviewers can still see authors’ names.

In the following pictures, the logged in user (Carina) is the first author of submission #13, and also a designated reviewer for submission #25.

1. When the user has Reader and Author roles, whether or not he is a Reviewer, she can see her own name as author of #13, but also the names of #25’s authors.
    Reader and Author

2. When she has just Reviewer and Reader roles, she can’t see any authors’ names.
    Reviewer and Reader

In this case, both #13 and #25 have already been reviewed, pending modifications.

In submission #25, the user Carina was added only as a reviewer; she isn’t a participant.

In submission #13, the user Carina is both author and participant.

1 Like

to solve this, I tryed I want to know about js/build.js - #5 by OhnO395 with no sucess, (the compiled build.js was different and throwing errors), so edited js/build.js localize method as follow

localize:function(t,e){
return void 0!==e?t.hasOwnProperty(e)?t[e]:"":
t.hasOwnProperty($.pkp.app.currentLocale)?t[$.pkp.app.currentLocale]
:t.hasOwnProperty($.pkp.app.primaryLocale)?t[$.pkp.app.primaryLocale]
:t.hasOwnProperty('pt_BR')?t['pt_BR']
:t.hasOwnProperty('es_ES')?t['es_ES']
:t.hasOwnProperty('it_IT')?t['it_IT']
:t.hasOwnProperty('en_US')?t['en_US']
:""},

there must be anything than an empty string for article title, as it is a required field

the reviewer is reader, author and reviewer and he is assined just for the second round of review, that is unfinished

the author has just the author role

Hi @lcduarte,

I’m not having any luck reproducing the problem you describe. I even tried downloading our release package of OJS 3.1.0-1 and starting fresh to see if I could reproduce it. But if I’m logged in as a reviewer, I can’t see the author of a submission where I’m assigned as a reviewer. I tried giving the reviewer an author role, but still can’t see anything. I even tried giving the review a journal manager role, but they still couldn’t see the author name.

Is it possible that the review type in question is not a double blind review? You can choose double blind, blind, or open. The author name will only be hidden if you select double blind (the default).

In a client of ours where the problem appeared we found that the reviewer type, for one of the reviewers in an article, was not double blind.

I have not found information on what type of revision is selected in the user interface. I changed via database.

Thanks @abadan. Author information is only hidden from a reviewer for double blind reviews.

How can the editor, reviewer and author see what revision type was set after a reviewer was assigned?

I do not know if this helps anyone but I discovered a similar problem. We upgraded from an older version of OJS through 2.4.8 and then to 3.1.0.1.

I discovered after reading this thread that reviewers could see the author names for submissions that were made in the older system when the upgrade was completed. I checked some of the tables and in review_assignments there is a variable called review_method. These were set to 1 which is the default. After running a test submission in the new system with the reviews set to Double Blind in the Workflow that the test submissions had a value of 2 in the review_assignments table. The older submissions had as I said values of 1. I ran an update query to change all the values of 1 to 2. The result was the reviewers could no longer see the author names - only the submission title.

Hopefully this will help if you use the cPanel to check the tables. The update query worked well as we had hundreds of assignments that all should have been double blind.

Once again the PKP wizards have provided some pretty neat features in 3.1.0.1

Rick

2 Likes

Can you compare your problem to this, maybe something is missing from the fix made there: [OJS] Upgrading to OJS3: reviewers can see the names of the authors · Issue #2195 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

That appears to be what I did. I ran an update query that set all the review_method values that were 1 to 2. We only use double blind reviews. Maybe someone from PKP can verify that 2 is the correct value for Double Blind. Obviously 1 allowed the reviewers to see the author names.

We upgraded from 2.2.4 to 2.4.8 and then to 3.1.0.1 As far as I can tell there was no review_method variable in the review assignments table in 2.2.4 When we upgraded the existing reviews were brought over from 2.2.4

2.4.8 had the review_method variable and if you look at the structure the default is 1. That is what the values were set to in the 2.4.8 upgrade.

Rick

Hi @RickMath,

The constants for the review_method column are found in lib/pkp/classes/submission/reviewAssignment/ReviewAssignment.inc.php:

define('SUBMISSION_REVIEW_METHOD_BLIND', 1);
define('SUBMISSION_REVIEW_METHOD_DOUBLEBLIND', 2);
define('SUBMISSION_REVIEW_METHOD_OPEN', 3);

It does appear that 1 (SUBMISSION_REVIEW_METHOD_BLIND) is used as a default for OJS 2 to OJS 3 upgrades. Double-blind would be a better choice; I’ve filed this over at Ensure that upgraded reviews from OJS2 are double-blind · Issue #3255 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Bozana added this based on the issue mentioned above. Maybe it got lost at some point pkp/pkp-lib#2195 set double-blind when review method is missing · bozana/ojs@d79a3aa · GitHub

Hi @ajnyga,

Hmm, interesting – that fix is equivalent to mine, and should already be included in OJS since version 3.0.2. @RickMath, I’m not sure how your upgrade could’ve completed without running that script – do you have the upgrade script output handy still?

(I’ll back out my fix, which is harmless but unnecessarily duplicates SQL.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

I do not have the script bu t the upgrade set all the review_method values for existing review_ assignments to 1.

I ran an update query in cPanel myAdmin to set the values to 2.

Alec, thanks for posting the values. Interesting with the values set to 1 reviewers were able to see the authors. This may be a fix that is needed. We always use Double Blind so it works for us to have the reviewers not see the author(s). We just sent out some requests so I will check again.

Thanks for all the responses on this.

Rick

@NateWr, sorry for the delay in answering; busy holiday season here. Last week, when I got back to working on the site, I examined our set-up and I noticed that i made a glaring mistake: I installed the new release on a test copy of our site, but did all my tests on the original, installed release… :frowning:

Anyway, the visibility problems disappeared. Thank you very much for your help! Best regards.

1 Like

:tada: Thanks for the follow-up!