[OJS 3.1.2-4] Ordering section in an Issue

Hi,

I am using OJS 3.1.2-4. I am facing issues with the sections order in one issue. I have checked and there are already some topics on this issue, however should be fixed with the version I have, if I understand correctly.
I have submitted articles using Quick Submit plugin. Afterward I changed a section of some articles. Now I want to change the order of the sections in the TOC, but it doesn’t work. I change the order, but when clicking save, the order gets back to the previous version.

Should this be already fixed? Any workaround how to change the order now, e.g. going directly in the DB?

Regards, Primož

2 Likes

We have the same problem in 3.1.2-1. And I have already seen a number of same reports here (even for 3.2.*).
But there seem to be no issues dedicated to that on Github. Do you know if this bug can be reliably reproduced somehow?

@Ph_We,

I am not sure what do you mean. I have this problem right now and I am willing to help you investigate if that is the question.

Regards, Primož

As far as I know the issue isn’t fixed. If you have access to your database, you can do the following: there is a table “custom_section_orders” in the database. If you take a look of all the sections which are associated with your issue, you will probably notice that the problematic section isn’t listed. If you add this section in the table, you’ll be able to order it.
Unfortunately we have the issue as well time and time again. In the old OJS Version (2.X) there was a button to set the sections to the default status which helped, but this workaround is missing in 3.X.

1 Like

Hi @UBWolf,

Thank you for you help. I sorted out the issue.
But it was a bit more tricky, so maybe I have found the root cause of the problem, @asmecher :

• you were right, there was not ID of my section in the table “custom_section_orders”
  • but there was an ID of unexisting sections and I believe that caused the problems
  • I just changed the section ID in the table and it worked

As said I believe I found the root cause: I have added a few submissions to a new section (using quick submit plugin, though I think this doesn’t change anything). Afterwards I changed the section of the articles in this new section (that is I moved all the articles to other older section) and deleted the new (empty now) section. I am assuming that when deleting the section, the section ID has not been deleted from the table “custom_section_orders” and that caused later on issues with being unable to sort the sections. Can you please check that part of the code?

Best regards, Primož

1 Like

Hi @primozs/all,

Are you able to replicate this behaviour e.g. on our test drive install, using the latest release? If so, could you post the steps to do so?

There have been a few improvements to quickSubmit over the last releases, so it might be corrected already.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher,

that’s difficult to do, because so far we have no clue why this happens. The root cause @primozs described is not the one we have encountered, because we haven’t delete any sections. The problem happens with some journals quite often, with others we don’t have any trouble. As of now we only use the newest OJS Version in our test installation, so there are not that many options to try this out. A quick test with the few articles we have there was successful, but I cannot say if this will be the case once we have upgraded all of our 100+ journals.

Kind regards
Daniela

Hi @asmecher,

I have tried to reproduce it on the https://demo.publicknowledgeproject.org/ojs3/testdrive if you wanted me to use that installation. I was not able to reproduce it, but the flow is now with 3.2 and the versioning a bit different, so might be the issues is solved.

Best regards, Primož

Hi @primozs,

Thanks for trying, and please do let me know if you’re able to reproduce the problem. It’s tough to debug remotely but I am interested in solving it if I can reproduce it locally!

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

Just to make sure: I can try to reproduce it localy, but that is older version, 3.1.2-4. Are you for sure interested in it?

Best regards, Primož

Hi @primozs,

No, if it seems to be resolved in later releases, I’m content to recommend that affected users upgrade.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

We’ve hit this bug in 3.2.1.2.

Our journal manager said he had created an issue and ordered the sections, but then went back and added more sections – those new sections were not in the custom_section_orders table and could not be moved.

I manually inserted them and the UI worked after that.

This behavior is repeated in version 3.3.0.5. All articles are added via QuickSubmit

Screen Recording 2021-04-23 at 02.29.42

And I don’t understand how to fix it

Hi @crosfield,

This is an older post. Can you please create a new post in the forum outlining your issue in more detail (and please link back to this post).

-Roger
PKP Team