OJs 3.1.0-1 after upgrade from 2.4.8.1 spinner is spinning forever

When I enter production part of interface spinner i spinning forever.
Php error log shows the following:
[15-Feb-2018 02:23:59 CST6CDT] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function getFullName() on null in /home/politi30/public_html/casopis/lib/pkp/controllers/grid/users/stageParticipant/StageParticipantGridCellProvider.inc.php on line 36
[15-Feb-2018 02:24:36 CST6CDT] PHP Deprecated: Non-static method Config::getContextBaseUrls() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/politi30/public_html/casopis/lib/pkp/plugins/generic/usageEvent/PKPUsageEventPlugin.inc.php on line 199
[15-Feb-2018 02:24:45 CST6CDT] PHP Deprecated: Non-static method Config::getContextBaseUrls() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/politi30/public_html/casopis/lib/pkp/plugins/generic/usageEvent/PKPUsageEventPlugin.inc.php on line 199
[15-Feb-2018 02:24:55 CST6CDT] PHP Deprecated: Non-static method Config::getContextBaseUrls() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/politi30/public_html/casopis/lib/pkp/plugins/generic/usageEvent/PKPUsageEventPlugin.inc.php on line 199

Please advise

Hi @vvucic,

You probably have a data inconsistency in the database, like an entry in stage_assignments or user_user_groups that refers to a nonexistent entry in the users table.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hmm, do I need to post screenshot of that table so we can manage that?
I found this in user_user_groups
Screenshot_2018-02-15_19-12-56
Please advise

Hi @vvucic,

You’d need to use a SQL LEFT JOIN to look for missing entries. For example, for the stage_assignments table, this query will list any entries that refer to missing users:

SELECT sa.* FROM stage_assignments sa LEFT JOIN users u ON (sa.user_id = u.user_id) WHERE sa.user_id IS NULL;

Regards,
Alec Smecher

In stage_assignments I have got the following:
Screenshot_2018-02-15_19-27-41

in user_user_groups I have got the following
Screenshot_2018-02-15_19-29-05
Hmm. empty results in both cases. Did I miss something?

Hi @vvucic,

Both those queries refer to stage_assignments – did you run a query on user_user_groups?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

One is for stage_assignements and another for user_user_groups

Hi @vvucic,

The queries in the screenshots both refer to stage_assignments – is the screenshot accurate? This isn’t something you can change e.g. by clicking around phpMyAdmin; you’ll need to adjust the query.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I do not have terminal/ssh access to the server so I have to use phpmyadmin to do that.

Hi @vvucic,

You can use phpMyAdmin to run the queries – but look at the screenshots you posted above. They both refer to the stage_assignments table, and to check user_user_groups, you’ll need to adjust the query to refer to that table instead.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Oh, sorry. Here it is from user_user_groups
Screenshot_2018-02-15_20-54-26

I found that some tables are InnoDB and some are MyISAM. Is that OK?
Screenshot_2018-02-15_21-07-49

Here it is error in php error log:
15-Feb-2018 14:56:49 CST6CDT] PHP Deprecated: Non-static method Config::getContextBaseUrls() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/politi30/public_html/casopis/lib/pkp/plugins/generic/usageEvent/PKPUsageEventPlugin.inc.php on line 199
[15-Feb-2018 15:04:10 CST6CDT] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function getFullName() on null in /home/politi30/public_html/casopis/lib/pkp/controllers/grid/users/stageParticipant/StageParticipantGridCellProvider.inc.php on line 36
[15-Feb-2018 15:04:15 CST6CDT] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function getFullName() on null in /home/politi30/public_html/casopis/lib/pkp/controllers/grid/users/stageParticipant/StageParticipantGridCellProvider.inc.php on line 36

@asmecher @bozana I think that I am close to spot the problem in my case.
When I submit new article everything works well. I reconsidered what might be the issue. I think that there is problem in the fact that OJS 2.4.8.1. had 3 locale i.e. English, Serbian and Croatian. But, after version 3.0.2 Serbian was split in two locales sr_RS@latin and sr_RS@cyrillic since in Serbian language there are two scripts (latin and cyrillic).
I have had mix up of characters after upgrade and in list of languages there is blank where Serbian should be probably due to differences in locale names after splitting Serbian in two locales. I added Serbian latin since that one is used in OJS and deleted one without name. Mixup of characters I corrected manually including characters in names and family names of users… But, I still do have in list of locales one blank name as on image below
Screenshot_2018-02-16_16-19-49
That is present everywhere where it is needed to input text in different locales.
In the list of languages currently present languages are listed normally as on image below
Screenshot_2018-02-16_16-44-01
I suspect that inconsistency in locales caused glitch that is related only to articles that have been in OJS before upgrade. Articles added after upgrade are entered without spinner spinning forever in list of users related to submission.
I think that it could be good to fix that since there are still several OJS installations 2.4.X branch that should be upgraded and I guess there will be a lot of work due to mismatch of locales as I described above. Indeed, I am willing to be cooperative in activities needed to fix that.

Hmmm… Thanks @vvucic, I’ll take a look/investigate… :slight_smile:

OK, I am willing to establish testing environment since I have to do upgrade of one OJS 2.4.8.1 to 3.1.0-1.
Thanks

Hi @vvucic

Hmmm… I did a small test: I enabled Srpski in 2.4.8 and submitted an article in that language. Then I upgraded to 3.1.0-1 and I cannot see the forever spinning.
This error above:

PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function getFullName() on null in /home/politi30/public_html/casopis/lib/pkp/controllers/grid/users/stageParticipant/StageParticipantGridCellProvider.inc.php on line 36

means actually that a user, that was once assigned to the submission, is missing.
I think that those SQL statements above were wrong, so that you could not figure out who is the user missing:
Could you please try this SQL statement:
SELECT * FROM stage_assignments WHERE user_id NOT IN (SELECT user_id FROM users)

Despite of that forever spinning problem you are right that that locale name change should be somehow handled with the upgrade. @asmecher, shall we then replace all sr_SR with sr_RS@latin in the DB?

Best,
Bozana

Hello,
Please note that there are 2 Serbian locales
sr_RS@latin
and sr_RS@cyrillic
There should be option to choose them so the upgrade script can map locales correctly

Hello @bozana
I experienced that after upgrade from OJS 2.4.81. to OJS 3.1.0-1 there are situations when Particpants are concerned in review process that spinner is spinning.
I found in php_error_log the following entry:
[27-Mar-2018 07:51:27 CST6CDT] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function getFullName() on null in /home/eapiea66/public_html/novi-ojs/lib/pkp/controllers/grid/users/stageParticipant/StageParticipantGridCellProvider.inc.php on line 36
[27-Mar-2018 07:51:41 CST6CDT] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function getFullName() on null in /home/eapiea66/public_html/novi-ojs/lib/pkp/controllers/grid/users/stageParticipant/StageParticipantGridCellProvider.inc.php on line 36
I found this entry quite repetitive which si maybe good indication where is problem:
[27-Mar-2018 07:52:39 CST6CDT] PHP Deprecated: Non-static method PKPRequest::getUserVar() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/eapiea66/public_html/novi-ojs/lib/pkp/classes/form/Form.inc.php on line 369
[27-Mar-2018 07:52:39 CST6CDT] PHP Deprecated: Non-static method PKPRequest::_checkThis() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/eapiea66/public_html/novi-ojs/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPRequest.inc.php on line 592

Please advise

Hi @vvucic

What do you get when you execute this SQL:

Thanks!
Bozana