[OJS 3.0.2.0] Change Translation with Theme

Is there any chance to change some (»overwrite«) translations strings or add new ones (e.g. for extending the navigation with static pages) through all journal languages without modifying the core files? It would be great, if I can use localization files inside a child theme. Is this possible?

Tobias

I just explored, that I can add new localization items inside my plugins locale folder and it works:
<message key="extra.menu.tatupImprint">Imprint</message>

But I could not overwrite existing locale strings. This doesn’t work:
<message key="current.current">Current issue</message>

Any hints?

Tobias

Hi @twa,

It sounds like you’re using OJS – what version? (Please include this information with your posts.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher,

I’m sorry: It’s OJS 3.0.2.0

Regard, Tobias

To be more precisely, I meant this folder:
/plugins/themes/default-child/locale/

@asmecher, sorry for bringing this up again, but it is an important question for your OJS implementation:
Is it possible to overwrite individual localization strings from within a theme/child theme –
e.g. via /plugins/themes/default-child/locale/ or is there another way?

Thanks, Tobias

Hi @twa,

You could probably borrow some code from the “custom locale” plugin to bring this behavior into a theme plugin; I’m not aware of any theme that does this yet.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

The custom locale plugin is only available in 2.4.x at this time, isn’t it?

Hi @ctgraham,

It’s a work in progress for OJS/OMP 3.x: https://github.com/asmecher/customLocale

It works, but it’s not especially refined.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

the plugin doesn’t work on OJS 3.1.1.2. It can be installed but generates any role conflicts. See screenshot.
customlocale

Hi @trace,

Nice avatar, by the way

Could you post this as a new forum topic? That’ll help keep the forum organized for others who run into the same problem.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher

Yeah I like KC and its legacy. May you take an ear at the new “Thumpermonkey” release if you like such…

I postet it here meanwhile Custom local plugin problem on OJS 3.1.1.2

Best
Jan