[OJS 2.4.8.3] How can I change the language of submission?

In OJS 2.4.8.3, how can I change the language of a submission? I can do that changing the locale in the database,but I found nowhere to change that in the OJS interface.

Hi @luizborges,

There should be an option within Users > Journal Management > Languages. You’ll need to enable the Submissions button in the language you are trying to enable.

Kind Regards,
Patricia M.
Public Knowledge Project

Hello Patricia, that is not what I meant.

What I want to do is change the locale setting in the articles table. Say someone created a new submission but misselect the language to English instead of the correct one Français. Now they are stuck having to fill the metadata fields in English, something they sometimes doesn’t have or don’t want to fill.

I can fix that by changing the locale from en_US to fr_FR in the articles table, but that is far from ideal.

Hi @luizborges,

Does you journal have the option to toggle languages?

If so, the user will be able to change the language on the site and even if they select one language at the beginning it can be changed in the subsequent steps of the submission process.

Is this closer to the answer you are looking for?

Kind Regards,
Patricia M.
Public Knowledge Project Intern

That is not it. I do have the languages setup.

Every submission has a primary language associated with it (the locale fiels in the articles table), it is set after the submission is complete, I’m not sure if it is the first language filled up, or the something else. The problem is, if the wrong language is filled and that is set as the locale for the submission, OJS will require that those metadata fields are filled, they cannot be left blank.

So in my example, if the submission is in French, but the data was filled in English, after it is done, there is no way (that I know of besides manually changing the database) to change it to the correct language (French) and leave the English fields blank.

Hi @luizborges,

Do you happen to have the ‘forms’ option enabled in both english and french. If this is enabled, the submitting author could change the form to the desired language (i.e, If they were filling out english text the form would be in english). I found that this option works for the multi-language journals that I work personally work with.

Kind Regards,
Patricia M.

Yes, they are all enabled, this is not the problem.

Look at the image below:
Edit%20Metadata

This is a submission originally created with the wrong language using the Portuguese form instead of English (after that locale in articles table is set to pt_BR), but the metadata is only available in English, therefore it doesn’t have Portuguese metadata and those should be left blank. And if I try to correct that by filling the English metadata and leaving the Portuguese blank, OJS complains about that. OJS requires me to fill those metadata because that is the creation language of the submission, and the only way to change that (that I know of) is by updating the database directly.

Hi @luizborges,

I’ve conferred with my colleagues as well as previous posts. In OJS 2 the expected behavior is that when an author starts a submission in a particular language (e.g. English), using the language pull-down at the beginning of the process, certain fields will be required in that language, such as the title and abstract. Which is perhaps the reason there is no simple solution to change this.

Please note that the newer version of OJS are more flexible.

Kind Regards,
Patricia M.

Good to know, I intent to migrate next month.

Here’s additional information: