O.J.S 3.0 Masthead does not save

I have installed O.J.S 3.0 in September 2016, a fresh version. Now when I add any writing to the Masthead under “List editors, managing directors, and other individuals associated with the journal”, it does not save. The save button start rotating for hours, but it does not save. Please help.

Hi @Hassan_Nameghi

Could you take a look in your error log files – if there is an error occurring?
Also, it would be good to update to the latest OJS 3.0.2 – a lot of bugs were fixed there. Currently, it is intensively being worked on OJS 3 so that it would always be good to take the latest version…

Best,
Bozana

Hi @bozana, @asmecher, @ctgraham
I am using OJS 3.0.2. My journal url is http://amphysiol.com
I am not able to save any changes in ‘Masthead’ tab under journal settings. I have checked the error log which mostly contains PHP Depricated or Strict standards. Few lines which I feel are of importance is appended below

[08-May-2017 06:17:07 America/New_York] PHP Strict Standards:  Declaration of SetupListbuilderHandler::authorize() should be compatible with GridHandler::authorize($request, &$args, $roleAssignments, $enforceRestrictedSite = true) in /home/qamevedq/amphysiol.com/lib/pkp/controllers/listbuilder/settings/SetupListbuilderHandler.inc.php on line 0
    [08-May-2017 06:17:07 America/New_York] PHP Strict Standards:  Declaration of SubEditorsListbuilderHandler::getOptions() should be compatible with ListbuilderHandler::getOptions($request) in /home/qamevedq/amphysiol.com/lib/pkp/controllers/listbuilder/settings/SubEditorsListbuilderHandler.inc.php on line 18
    [08-May-2017 06:17:07 America/New_York] PHP Strict Standards:  Declaration of SubEditorsListbuilderHandler::loadData() should be compatible with GridHandler::loadData($request, $filter) in /home/qamevedq/amphysiol.com/lib/pkp/controllers/listbuilder/settings/SubEditorsListbuilderHandler.inc.php on line 18

Under other headings like ‘Contact’ and ‘Sections’ I am able to save. Can anyone help in this regard.

I’d recommend disabling (at least temporarily) PHP’s Strict Standards and Deprecated warnings, then trying this again. Any new log messages will be relevant. (None of the Strict Standards or Deprecated warnings will describe the problem.)

Our hosting is with Namecheap running on Linux server with PHP version 5.4.45

Following are the settings in my php.ini file

error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_STRICT

Always populate the $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA variable. always_populate_raw_post_data = -1

Still the error log display PHP Strict standards and PHP Deprecated. Is there any other way to disable these warnings.

Have you restarted Apache since making the changes to php.ini? They probably won’t be picked up in the existing webserver process.

It is a shared hosting. No control on server.

Mohammed Abdul Hannan Hazari
QAMER Publishing House

@ctgraham
Can any changes in .htaccess file help in disabling the PHP Strict Standards and PHP Deprecated warnings?

Try these instructions to enter the configuration via .htaccess:

@ctgraham
Still not able to save the masthead
Below are the lines from today’s PHP error log

[10-May-2017 05:09:18 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Non-static method ScheduledTaskHelper::checkFrequency() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/qamevedq/amphysiol.com/lib/pkp/plugins/generic/acron/PKPAcronPlugin.inc.php on line 315
[10-May-2017 05:09:18 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Non-static method ScheduledTaskHelper::_isInRange() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/qamevedq/amphysiol.com/lib/pkp/classes/scheduledTask/ScheduledTaskHelper.inc.php on line 114
[10-May-2017 05:09:18 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Non-static method ScheduledTaskHelper::checkFrequency() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/qamevedq/amphysiol.com/lib/pkp/plugins/generic/acron/PKPAcronPlugin.inc.php on line 315
[10-May-2017 05:09:18 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Non-static method ScheduledTaskHelper::_isInRange() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/qamevedq/amphysiol.com/lib/pkp/classes/scheduledTask/ScheduledTaskHelper.inc.php on line 114
[10-May-2017 05:09:18 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Non-static method Request::getContext() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/qamevedq/amphysiol.com/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/ThemePlugin.inc.php on line 409
[10-May-2017 05:09:18 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Non-static method PKPRequest::_checkThis() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/qamevedq/amphysiol.com/classes/core/Request.inc.php on line 68
[10-May-2017 05:09:18 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Non-static method Request::getContext() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/qamevedq/amphysiol.com/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/ThemePlugin.inc.php on line 409
[10-May-2017 05:09:18 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Non-static method PKPRequest::_checkThis() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/qamevedq/amphysiol.com/classes/core/Request.inc.php on line 68

Did the time of “10-May-2017 05:09:18” correspond to a time when you tried to save the masthead again? The messages from the error log will only be relevant if they come from the time when you tried to save the masthead.

Re-reading your initial report, I note you say “The save button start rotating for hours”. This raises the possibility that the error may simply be javascript related and not actually be touching the server. Open your web browser’s Web Inspector tool (usually accessed by F12), and use the Console tab to look for Javascript error messages. If the request goes to the server, you can also use the Network tab to see which request failed. Share those errors here.

The server time shown corresponds to the timing of my trying to save masthead (My country time zone is GMT+5:30 and the server is located in New York, the time is correct keeping in view the time zone difference)

As suggested by you, I opened the Inspector tool in Mozilla Firefox. Under console → JS → this was the error

Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user’s experience. For more help http://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/  jquery.min.js:4:25645

Under Network tab, this is shown

GET 
http://amphysiol.com/index.php/amp/$$$call$$$/page/page/css [HTTP/1.1 200 OK 0ms]
GET 
http://amphysiol.com/index.php/amp/$$$call$$$/page/page/css [HTTP/1.1 200 OK 3824ms]

After disabling and enabling addThis plugin and updating my PC’s Windows 10 the problem is solved. I am able to save the masthead now.
@ctgraham
Thanks for the continuous support in trouble shooting my problem.

We have exactly the same issue @ctgraham, but we access the OJS site from two different country and we both facing this same issue. We can not upload images, or have long text in Masthead field. The installation is fresh. I checked the log file and I can not see any relevant error message,

Please note that we tried different browser in different locations and the result is the same.

Here is the last lines in my log

[18-Jun-2017 17:45:12 America/Chicago] PHP Deprecated: Non-static method PKPRequest::getUserVar() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/cihanuni/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/classes/form/Form.inc.php on line 351
[18-Jun-2017 17:45:12 America/Chicago] PHP Deprecated: Non-static method PKPRequest::_checkThis() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/cihanuni/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPRequest.inc.php on line 582
[18-Jun-2017 17:45:13 America/Chicago] PHP Deprecated: Non-static method Request::getContext() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/cihanuni/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/ThemePlugin.inc.php on line 409
[18-Jun-2017 17:45:13 America/Chicago] PHP Deprecated: Non-static method PKPRequest::_checkThis() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/cihanuni/public_html/journals/classes/core/Request.inc.php on line 68
[18-Jun-2017 17:45:13 America/Chicago] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of DevelopedByBlockPlugin::getSeq() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getSeq($contextId = NULL) in /home/cihanuni/public_html/journals/plugins/blocks/developedBy/DevelopedByBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[18-Jun-2017 17:45:13 America/Chicago] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of DevelopedByBlockPlugin::getBlockContext() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getBlockContext($contextId = NULL) in /home/cihanuni/public_html/journals/plugins/blocks/developedBy/DevelopedByBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[18-Jun-2017 17:45:13 America/Chicago] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of DevelopedByBlockPlugin::getEnabled() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getEnabled($contextId = NULL) in /home/cihanuni/public_html/journals/plugins/blocks/developedBy/DevelopedByBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[18-Jun-2017 17:45:13 America/Chicago] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getSeq() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getSeq($contextId = NULL) in /home/cihanuni/public_html/journals/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[18-Jun-2017 17:45:13 America/Chicago] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getBlockContext() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getBlockContext($contextId = NULL) in /home/cihanuni/public_html/journals/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[18-Jun-2017 17:45:13 America/Chicago] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getEnabled() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getEnabled($contextId = NULL) in /home/cihanuni/public_html/journals/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[18-Jun-2017 17:45:13 America/Chicago] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getContents() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getContents($templateMgr, $request = NULL) in /home/cihanuni/public_html/journals/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[18-Jun-2017 17:45:14 America/Chicago] PHP Deprecated: Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set ‘always_populate_raw_post_data’ to ‘-1’ in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
[18-Jun-2017 17:45:15 America/Chicago] PHP Deprecated: Non-static method ScheduledTaskHelper::checkFrequency() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/cihanuni/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/plugins/generic/acron/PKPAcronPlugin.inc.php on line 315
[18-Jun-2017 17:45:15 America/Chicago] PHP Deprecated: Non-static method ScheduledTaskHelper::_isInRange() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/cihanuni/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/classes/scheduledTask/ScheduledTaskHelper.inc.php on line 114
[18-Jun-2017 17:45:15 America/Chicago] PHP Deprecated: Non-static method ScheduledTaskHelper::checkFrequency() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/cihanuni/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/plugins/generic/acron/PKPAcronPlugin.inc.php on line 315
[18-Jun-2017 17:45:15 America/Chicago] PHP Deprecated: Non-static method ScheduledTaskHelper::_isInRange() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/cihanuni/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/classes/scheduledTask/ScheduledTaskHelper.inc.php on line 114
[18-Jun-2017 17:45:15 America/Chicago] PHP Deprecated: Non-static method Request::getContext() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/cihanuni/public_html/journals/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/ThemePlugin.inc.php on line 409
[18-Jun-2017 17:45:15 America/Chicago] PHP Deprecated: Non-static method PKPRequest::_checkThis() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/cihanuni/public_html/journals/classes/core/Request.inc.php on line 68
[18-Jun-2017 17:45:15 America/Chicago] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of DevelopedByBlockPlugin::getSeq() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getSeq($contextId = NULL) in /home/cihanuni/public_html/journals/plugins/blocks/developedBy/DevelopedByBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[18-Jun-2017 17:45:15 America/Chicago] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of DevelopedByBlockPlugin::getBlockContext() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getBlockContext($contextId = NULL) in /home/cihanuni/public_html/journals/plugins/blocks/developedBy/DevelopedByBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[18-Jun-2017 17:45:15 America/Chicago] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of DevelopedByBlockPlugin::getEnabled() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getEnabled($contextId = NULL) in /home/cihanuni/public_html/journals/plugins/blocks/developedBy/DevelopedByBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[18-Jun-2017 17:45:15 America/Chicago] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getSeq() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getSeq($contextId = NULL) in /home/cihanuni/public_html/journals/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[18-Jun-2017 17:45:15 America/Chicago] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getBlockContext() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getBlockContext($contextId = NULL) in /home/cihanuni/public_html/journals/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[18-Jun-2017 17:45:15 America/Chicago] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getEnabled() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getEnabled($contextId = NULL) in /home/cihanuni/public_html/journals/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0
[18-Jun-2017 17:45:15 America/Chicago] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getContents() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getContents($templateMgr, $request = NULL) in /home/cihanuni/public_html/journals/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 0

The messages in your error log beginning with “PHP Strict Standards” or “PHP Deprecated” will not generally be helpful in diagnosing the problem. You are looking for either messages in the error log at the time of the request that don’t contain these prefixes (look instead for “Error” or “Fatal” or similar), or you may need to look in your web browser’s console for javascript error messages (in the case where the request never made it to the server).

I did search for those terms Error and Fatal but there were non in log file. I check the consul, please see the attachment. It is just this note in the NET rather than JS consul. When I installed the OJS I selected the Database charset to UTF-8 as we use Arabic too, Is this a problem?

I also noticed that as long as the test in continuous text it will be saved, but if it contain paragraph break or line break or TABLE it will hang. I could not also upload images…

The HTTP 403 message in your screenshot is likely the cause. A 403 error indicates that the webserver (or an earlier firewall) blocked the request without passing it on to OJS. This is likely due to request filtering, such as a Web Application Firewall device in front of your webserver on the network, or an internal webserver module, such as mod_security in Apache.

That s, There is a ModSecurity in Cpanel and I turn that off for the OJS3 site, Now there is now issues. But this module does not have any setting to tune it down. Will it be any security issue please? It says

Warning: ModSecurity is disabled for one or more of your domains. Only disable ModSecurity while you troubleshoot a problem with your configuration. Without ModSecurity enabled, your domains lose the extra layer of protection that the module provides.

ModSecurity comes with a set of standard rules which can be enabled/disabled/appended; but you may not be able to do that directly, depending on your hosting environment.

Check with your hosting support about whether or not you (or they on your behalf) can disable specific ModSecurity rules. If so, you’ll need to identify the rule that is blocking this specific request.

1 Like

Hi @ctgraham,
I am facing the same issue reported in this thread and the OJS does not save any information in the Journal Settings tabs Masthead and Contact.

I have checked if there was a security issue, but there is not. Everything seems correct as you can check on the captured debug image attached. However, no new information is saved in the Masthead or Contact tabs.

The only HTTP error I could verify was HTTP/1.1 304 No Modified (see figure below). Could this be the problem?

Thank you,
Gustavo