Localized file names required after clicking file name field

Hello!
We are running OJS 3.3.0.6 and have encountered an issue for multilingual journals where file names are required to be localized, but only after clicking the file name field. There was a similar issue for previous versions, but it was fixed from what I can understand: OJS3: uploading submission files in multilingual installations: does the file name have to be localized?

Before clicking the filename field (“Continue”-button clickable):
bild

After clicking the filename field:
bild

The only way to continue once the field has been clicked is to enter a filename in each active language.
Language settings for this journal are: UI, forms and submissions activated for Swedish, Danish, and English. Swedish is the primary language. However, we have noticed it in all journals with several active submission languages.

Any ideas? Could anyone running the same version check if it is a general issue, or if it might be local?

Hi @mannemark,

I couldn’t replicate the issue you’re experiencing here, at what point are you uploading the file that you’re running into this issue?

-Roger
PKP Team

Hello @rcgillis and thank you for the quick reply! This happens in any stage in the submission, i.e. submission, review etc, and in any part of each stage, i.e. review files, revisions, etc.

I just noticed a slightly different behaviour in journals with only two languages enabled. In these cases the file always needs to be named manually, because the first language field is empty:
bild
After clicking the field you can see that the filename is present in the second language field:
bild
This happens irregardless of which language is active at the moment.

Any ideas about where to look for source of error in our installation?

Best,
Magnus

Hi @mannemark,

Thanks for providing these additional details. Interesting to note the bit about the two languages. I’m not sure if this is a bug or intentional - I’m going to ask one of our developers to give this a closer look and try to determine that.

-Roger
PKP Team

Hi @mannemark,

I spoke with one of our developers about this, and apparently this is a long-standing issue with the old file upload wizard. There are some plans to overhaul this wizard, so there could be some improvements to this in future versions.

-Roger
PKP Team

Thank you @rcgillis for looking into it! Are there any ways to fix the error besides going back to a former version? We didn’t experience this in 3.1.2, it only started after upgrading to 3.3.

Hi @mannemark,

Not that I know of, but I’ll see if any of my other team members can weigh in if they have any ideas.

-Roger
PKP Team

One of our brilliant developers managed to solve the problem. He changed

{fbvElement type=“text” id=“name” value=$submissionFile->getData(‘name’) multilingual=true maxlength=“255” required=false}

in lib/pkp/templates/controllers/wizard/fileUpload/form/submissionFileMetadataForm.tpl

Not sure why it was set to required before. If anyone is encountering the same behaviour, this may solve it for you as well.

Many thanks for the help!

Magnus

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.