Journal settings and role

Hello,

I don’t know if this is a problem encountered by most, but I noticed that most of the roles can see and change important journal’s settings, like pages descriptions, plugins, appearence, etc.
The main problem here is that, as a publisher, we want to give access to the backend to the Journal Editor, but without letting him/her to change the main site settings. Not every journal editors are “familiar” with web technologies, so it would be better that only the site administrator can change vital things like plugins etc.

Is it something discussed before?

Hi @Lara_M,

Typically setting changes are limited only to those with the Journal Manager and/or Site Admin roles. Those with assigned roles of Editor and Section Editor, for example, shouldn’t have access to any setting changes - are you seeing otherwise in your instance (if so, please indicate what version # you are using [e.g. 3.3.0-8])

-Roger
PKP Team

Hi @rcgillis,

my version is 3.3.0.11. As you can see in screenshots, I have an account with Journal manager and Journal Editor, if I impersonate it, I still can see the Settings etc.

Schermata da 2022-08-25 09-23-46
Schermata da 2022-08-25 09-25-31

Hi @Lara_M,

If you impersonate an account with just the Editor role do you still see the settings too?

-Roger
PKP Team

Yes, see screenshot

Schermata da 2022-08-25 14-18-47
Schermata da 2022-08-25 14-19-15

Hi @rcgillis,

I come back to this issue to know if there is anything I can do or something I am doing wrong, or is it an actual issue?

Thanks!

Hi @Lara_M,

Sorry - I’m not entirely sure what is the issue here. Others may wish to weigh in.

-Roger
PKP Team

Maybe is it better if I open an issue in github?

Hi @Lara_M / @rcgillis,

The “Journal manager” and “Journal editor” entries under “User Roles” are allowed to access journal settings. This is by design; there is a back and forth on this thread that you might find useful:

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 12 days. New replies are no longer allowed.