Is it possible to have subsections in the Table of Contents?

One of our journals has new sections for every issue with different titles. Now in the last issue they had a main section with 3 subsections and I don’t know how to make that work in OJS.

Any suggestions?

Hi @luizborges,

OJS doesn’t currently support subsections. It would be possible to visually promote/demote sections using CSS, if the Table of Contents listing included section identifiers or equivalent as CSS classes – @NateWr, what do you think of this?

Note that OJS provides data to many outside services, and these generally don’t support subsections either, as far as I’m aware. If you do pursue this within OJS, be aware of how external systems will see the data.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

It will be up to each theme. I’m not opposed to adding a unique class to each section for the default theme, but I think the same one-off design changes could be accomplished with the :nth-child() pseudo-selector without a need for a class.

I couldn’t do that with theme because the sections wouldn’t be fixed.
This particular journal has new section names for each issue, and for its latest issue besides the new name he also wanted subsections. I will just reply that his isn’t possible and that this could have a negative impact on the data collected by other services.

1 Like

Hello all,

This subsection concern is also on our head. I wasn’t aware of the fact that external services had problems with subsections. Of course, a scholarly/research journal has a defined structure. However, we use OJS to host multiple serials, not all within the scholarly standards. Some are requirements of invited issues.
It would definitely help us be able to organize a journal with subsections. We have a journal that publishes issues diverse awards for projects with categories within a single issue, because there are few papers to publish by award.

Our solution is to create sections with the names of the award + the category, in order to organize the TOC within OJS. For the digital issue (PDF), we organize it as we see fit.