I am confused on this Plugin (EditorialBio)

Hi all;

Good day!

Here’s my question about this plugin “EditorialBio”. It made sense for me to try this plugin to ojs 3.3.0-10 LTS version and install it, but then something went wrong and I couldn’t see the menu “biography” users.
Screenshot_22

I came here to understand, but it was not reflected on our ojs:

I went to this forum topic but found no solution: OJS 3 Journal Summary (Editorial Team) Page - Bios

I’d like to resolve this issue with the assistance of our editorial board member’s information because it’s required by the indexing website that we want to submit.

Here is an example:
Screenshot_21

Thank you for your assistance.

-regards
Darryl

Hi @OJS_Darryl,

Thanks for sharing. What method did you use to install the plugin?

-Roger
PKP Team

Hello @rcgillis ;

Thanks for your reply;

But, I ask a question about this “EditorialBio” Plugin, It cause it did not show on our system in user/role administration.

if you have any experience about this can you please help me this?

-regards;
Darryl

Hi @OJS_Darryl,

I’m asking about how you installed the plugin because sometimes this affects how it operates (e.g. if you’ve installed it through the plugin gallery or manually). I wanted to test it out and see if I got the same result, but in order to do so, I need to know what installation method you used.

-Roger
PKP Team

I’m asking about how you installed the plugin because sometimes this affects how it operates (e.g. if you’ve installed it through the plugin gallery or manually). I wanted to test it out and see if I got the same result, but in order to do so, I need to know what installation method you used.

Ah, I see, after I upgraded our ojs from 3.3.0-8 to the LTS version, 3.3.0-10, there is an inclusion plugin called EditorialBio in the plugin gallery, which I updated and installed.

But now I can’t find this ‘Biography’ in the User/Role area when I choose a editor.

-regards
Darryl

Hi @OJS_Darryl,

I see what you mean. I tested it and got the same result as you. @ctgraham - curious if you know what might be going on here?

-Roger
PKP Team

Is the user you are looking at an Editor or a Journal Manager? And does that Editor or Journal Manager have content in the “Bio Statement” in the “More User Details” section when editing the user’s profile?

All of these conditions are required for the link to appear.

Thanks for the response @ctgraham;

One of the reasons I’m confused about this plugin is the possibility of being viewable in the editorial team menu; when I enter the editorial board name, there’s no need to do any HTML coding; it’s all done automatically with this plugin. By clicking the name, the biography will be displayed.

Could you tell me more about this plugin?

-regards

Darryl

In OJS 2.x the Editorial Board page functioned as you describe: the page automatically listed those with editorial roles, and automatically linked to the biographies of the editors.

In OJS 3.x this feature was removed and was replaced with allowing the Journal Manager to create an arbitrary HTML page with the Editorial information. Additionally, the biographies as entered in the Editorial user profiles were no longer publicly accessible.

Pitt ULS wanted to continue to use these biographies, so we created this plugin to give these profiles public links in 3.x. This way, the Journal Manager can create a list of the Editorial staff in the HTML editor, and can link to the Biographies which the editors maintain within their own profile data.

This plugin would be perfect if it could show the profile picture and the ORCID.

@ctgraham ;

Thanks for the response;

Yes, I understand. HTML one of the basic way to do it.

-regards

@dagosalas;

Yes you are right;

-regards

The functionality in OJS 2.x did support the inclusion of a profile picture, and optional contact and affiliation information.

This was sometimes abused by spammers who would create accounts simply to upload promotional or offensive content.

Since the Editorial Bio plugin requires that a user have an editorial or managerial role, I think we can reliably trust this content in this plugin.

I’ve opened a feature request for this on the plugin:

1 Like

Yes, I noticed that on our back end and public some of users registered user was spam. I decided to follow what is your recommendation.