How to add menu items to Primary Navigation Menu: OJS 3.1

Dear all,
I am testing OJS 3.1 in my localserver and so far things are smooth.

I am trying to add menu items to Primary Navigation Menu from the static pages. Though they are created and added to primary menu, they do not appear in the website front page. Am I missing something on how to add them to primary navigation?

Regards,
@anupent

I have noticed that when you create a new static page it is not displayed in Navigation Menus’s options. only default items are available.

To create a new menu item you should click “Add item” ( Navigation Menus >>> Navigation Menu Items) and then chose Remote URL >>> “Link to any URL on another site” >>> … and add URL of the page you have created.

After that you should edit directly Primary or User menu … your page with URL will be available

test

2 Likes

Dear @OSU,

To keep things simple, I have removed two sub-menu under about (default) menu and put it as the main menu item as in following pic(first), but still did not get those items as main menu item (pic 2).

new menu item

jlmc

Still seeking for help.

Regards,
@anupent

It is not working here as well. So i have added the nav bar from the previous ojs.

1 Like

I do not know. Everything is working well for me. I just created new menu item with link to new page “Test2”… then placed it to Navigation Area (see screenshot) … and it’s displayed in the main menu…
test0

result

test1

Thanks, @OSU,
I was expecting the same behavior in my install, but I think I need to reinstall.

Edit: JatsManuscript theme is preventing that menu appearing at the primary menu bar. I applied default theme and then the new menu items start re-appearing. @Vitaliy: Would you like to pass any comments on this?

Regards,
@anupent

The theme needs to be updated. It is front-end problem. I will take a look later.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

To use the new navigation menu feature, your themes must define and use navigation menu areas.

The default theme in OJS 3.1 and the Manuscript child theme should be good to go. I’ve also soft-released an update to the Bootstrap3 theme which supports the nav menus as well. (It will be properly released in a few days once it’s had a few eyes on it for testing purposes.)

The Theme API has new methods (addMenuArea(), removeMenuArea()) to define slots in your theme for navigation menus. The docs have been updated here:

https://pkp.gitbooks.io/pkp-theming-guide/content/en/theme-api.html

Any slots defined there, will be available for you to assign a navigation menu in the settings area.

Then, in your theme’s template files, you can load in the nav menu assigned to an area like this:

{load_menu name="primary" id="navigationPrimary" ulClass="pkp_navigation_primary"}

And finally, there’s a new template file if you want to override the default navigation menu HTML output:

2 Likes

Hi,
How did you created Administration and Contact menu item ?

Dear @Andrzej,
They are there by default.

Regards,
@anupent

OK. I’ve founded Administration item.
But where is Contact item ?

Dear @Andrzej,

Not there where you are looking at.
Close that window and then you will get “Navigation Menu” and “Navigation Menu Item” as shown below:
The contacts in in the navigation menu item.

Regards,
@anupent

Hi @Andrzej.

Thanks for using the new NavigationMenu feature. As @anupent said, both the Administration and the Contact navigation menu items (NMIs) are added by default to the system.
@anupent pointed out correctly where the Contact NMI can be found. Nevertheless the list of navigation menu types should have the Contact menu type displayed.

I have just filed an issue report for that. (NavigationMenus - NMI_TYPE_CONTACT not returned by getMenuItemTypes · Issue #2944 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub)

Regards,
Dimitris

2 Likes

Hi @Vitaliy,

With the guide from the post of @NateWr, I am able to bring the feature of New primary menu in the JatsManuscript theme.

Thank you all for your efforts again.

Regards,
@anupent

1 Like

How to show “Navigation Menus” on website setting? while in my journal does not exist.
website setting

Hi @ceperlan,
Can you confirm you are using OJS 3.1 and not the older version?

Regards,
@anupent

I use ojs 3.0.2. And please show me navigation menus on website setting sir.

Regards,
@ceperlan

Hi @ceperlan,

This is a feature of OJS 3.1
This feature is not available for 3.0.2 by default.

Regards,
@anupent

thanks mr. @anupent for your info.

Dears,

I am using OJS 3.1 and I can add menu perfectly with navigation menus, however, I don’t know how I add menu with submenu for example For Authors with submenu: Guideline, Publication fees.

I tried the old version that exist in ojs3.0.1, but it create for me two menu one in primary menu and the second in login menu?

ANy hint? it should be something simple