How change publication date?

Hi all,

We launched OJS 3.02 for our journal today (we changed journal site from wordpress). We want to upload our past issues published (2010-2017) in OJS 3.02.

But there is a problem. We published a manuscript in 2010, but today is 2017, after uploading past issues, OJS auto- citation manager, create citation for 2017. I defined Issues year for 2010, But after publishing Auto citation indicated 2017 for APA, Endnote etc. Could you please help me?

Regards

Hi Petrus

To adjust manuscript date/time you need to edit submission:
Submissions > Archive > (choose one to adjust) Published (Stage Collumn)

Production (tab) > Schedule for publication (button)

It will open a modal window and in field “Published” you may pick up correct date.

Regards,
Israel Cefrin
Public Knowledge Project Team

3 Likes

Thank you very much

Problem solved

Thank you @israel.cefrin. This bothered me since we upgrade from 2x to 3.02. Any solution for date of publication on TOC of issue (date of publication of whole issue?

Hi

You can adjust it in:
Issues > Back Issues > Edit (each one has this link)

It will open a modal > Issue Data (tab)

Pick up date/time in “Date Published” field.

Regards,
Israel Cefrin

Hi @israel.cefrin,
Thank you for answer. It’s working. One warning for other users: if you enter date by typing, it won’t be saved. You shoul choose date in drop down calendar. :slight_smile:

Hi @israel.cefrin,
I’ve had a lot of trouble with the publication date, because choosing a date from the dropdown menu has to be confirmed by hitting enter before saving otherwise it is lost. Other information can be entered without clicking enter.
Also, when you schedule a new manuscript to appear in a future issue there is no place to enter the publication date. It is automatically set to the date you did the scheduling. You have to reopen “schedule for publication” to adjust the date (thankfully future dates are possible!). It would be helpful if the publicaton date could already be chosen when scheduling the manuscript for publication.
Thanks.

Hi @aulock

Could you paste a screenshot related to this issue you are reporting for better understanding on my end?

Regards,
Israel Cefrin

Hi @israel.cefrin,
This is issue 1 in OJS 3.1. If I choose a publication date that has already been used from the dropdown menu (whether in the past or future), I have to hit enter in the window before saving otherwise today’s date will be used instead. This is not the case for e.g. the copyright year in the same window where choosing a year from the menu is saved when you click save - instead if you hit enter after choosing a year here, the window closes.

Hi @israel.cefrin,
so this is issue 2: 16
This is a manuscript that has gone through the normal process (not Quicksubmit) and is then assigned to an issue. The publication date cannot be set in this window. Instead, today’s date is automatically added as the publication date although the manuscript may have been published previously as a preprint or may only be scheduled for the next issue to be published next month. When the window is called up a second time after closing it, the window publication date appears and can be altered - but only if it is confirmed by hitting enter.
Hope that makes it more clear. Thanks for your help.

Hi Israel, hi all -
we just came across a similar issue. An article was added in February this year to an issue published in 2018. In the “How to Cite” box the article is now shown with the wrong year (2019 - when it was published, not 2018, the year of the issue).
I hesitate to back-date the publication to, say, December 31st 2018 - that is not when it came out. But if I want the How To Cite to display the correct year, I will have to, no?
Cheers for any tips,
Andrea

Hi @ahacker

The "How to Cite " box will show the date of artcle not the issue. It relies on the case when you have a continuous publishing stream and it keeps the article history then.

Best,
Israel

Dear @israel.cefrin ,

I have a problem that I cannot assign the publication date to the oldest one.
For example, I have uploaded & published a back issue year 2008 in 2016 (with publication date remain blank) Screenshot attached. But later I found that the paper could not be assigned to a specific year (2008). How can we fix this matter? I’m using OJS 2.4.2.0. I’m sorry posted under OJS 3 section.

Thanks

Hi @israel.cefrin,
I was also looking into this, but I could not find the “Schedule for publication” button you were mentioning. After I click on "Production (tab), I don’t see it, in fact.
Am I missing something? I attach a screenshot about this.
Best regards
Leonardo

Hi @budhi

This is a reasonable outdated OJS version. The latest OJS 2.x is 2.4.8-5 (May, 2019). However, I think that you could try to unpublish the issue and try to add this other article to it. Then, re-publish it keeping the original date.

Please, let me know whether it works for you. Also, make a backup of your database.

Best,
Israel

Hi @leonardo.mancini

I’m not sure whether I’ve understood your question. Did you run through all stages in submission workflow, however, at end you can’t publish your article?

Have you set it on a existing Issue for publication? Has this article been passed for reviewing, copyediting and else?

Best,
Israel

Hi @israel.cefrin,

sorry, I try to reformulate better my answer.
Since I created a website for an old journal, I have inserted all the articles using the QuickSubmit issues.
Now, I manage to edit the issues date, but not the article publication date. I don’t find, under the “Submissions” panel, where to edit this info, which appears to not editable in fact.
Would you have an idea, for how to do that? At the moment, I have issues of the eighties, with articles which are said on the website to be published on 30 January 2020 :slight_smile:
But on that date I simply uploaded them on the new open-access website. The author wrote it and published thirty years ago.
Thank you for your attention and patience.
Best regards
Leonardo

Hi @israel.cefrin,
I have found it! I couldn’t see the water in the river apparently!
All the best,
Leonardo

1 Like

Hi @leonardo.mancini

Could you post the solution to your question? Maybe other users can take advantage from the very same approach to similar issues they face.

Best,
Israel

I know you did not ask me, but for the same scenario we first make sure that the issue publication dates are ok, and then run the script below.

<?php

# Journal id to consider
$journal_id = "54";

$mysqli = new mysqli('SERVERNAME', 'USERNAME', 'PASSWORD', 'DATABASE');

$sql = "SELECT issue_id, date_published FROM issues WHERE journal_id='$journal_id'";
$result = $mysqli->query($sql);

while ($issue = $result->fetch_assoc()) {

$issue_id = (int) $issue['issue_id'];
	$date = $issue['date_published'];

print "Issue id: " . $issue_id . " Date: " . $date . "<br />\n";

$mysqli->query("UPDATE `published_submissions` SET date_published='$date' WHERE issue_id='$issue_id'");

}

?>

Note that this script will not work with OJS 3.2 when it is published!