Global blank page issue, rookie

Hi:

I am getting global blank pages on my OJS. Problem is that I have essentially no skills other than having FTP and phpmyadmin access. Server recently updated from FTP to SFTP. Can anyone save my life with a doable solution??

PHP 7.1 (I also see a PHP 5.6 option)

MYSITE-error.log says:

PHP Fatal error: Cannot use ‘String’ as class name as it is reserved in /home/public/sites/www.MYSITE/OJS/lib/pkp/classes/core/String.inc.php on line 57

There is a default-error.log giving me repetitions of:

[Mon Mar 12 14:45:14.320399 2018] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 1748] AH00163: Apache/2.4.10 (Debian) configured – resuming normal operations
[Mon Mar 12 14:45:14.320424 2018] [core:notice] [pid 1748] AH00094: Command line: ‘/usr/sbin/apache2’

Hi @MENSTUDIES,

I suspect you’re working with OJS 2.x (please specify the OJS version with your posts). For OJS 2.x, you’ll need to use PHP 5.6. If you haven’t invested a lot of time into your installation yet, I’d suggest using OJS 3.x instead; it supports PHP5.6 and PHP7.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Many thanks. Yes I figure it’s 2.x.
I took the PHP 5.6 option, but now I’m greeted with:
Database connection failed!

log: ojs2: Database connection failed!

Any idea?

Many thanks.

Hi @MENSTUDIES,

Have you already installed OJS (e.g. creating the database, running the installer, etc) or is this a fresh copy on your server?

What specific version are you running?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

It has run for >1 year without trouble. I updated once I recall.
How can I check my version? I have a package that says ojs-2.4.5. It’s probably that.

Hi @MENSTUDIES,

See this FAQ entry for information on how to check your software version.

If your installation was working but is now giving you a Database connection failed! message, then it’s likely that something has changed on your server. Double-check that your database is still present and accessible using the credentials in config.inc.php.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks (version is 2.4.5.0). I updated config.inc.php but now its says:

Missing file: /home/public/sites/www.MYSITE/OJS/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysqlhost.inc.php

ADONewConnection: Unable to load database driver ‘’

Hi @MENSTUDIES,

What did you set your driver setting in config.inc.php to?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

This would be
driver = mysql

Hi @MENSTUDIES,

Hmm, there’s no adodb-mysqlhost.inc.php in OJS 2.4.5, nor any reference to one. I’m not sure why your OJS would be trying to find/load that file. Could this be a local modification?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I resolved it, adapting from a backup config.inc.php
Many thanks for all your help.