Export to markdown for static site generators (e.g. Hugo/Jekyll)

I saw this post about closing an OJS site and thought one solution to this problem, and others, would be for OJS to be able to export a site into markdown files for use by a static site generator. I use Hugo, but Jekyll is also popular.

Use Cases

Shutting down a site. The journal admin would export each page to a markdown, generate a static version of the journal website using their preferred static site generator and then archive the site to a CDN or small webserver. A static site can be hosted more cheaply than a mirror of a PHP site because content is just fetched. Low-medium traffic hosting for static sites is often available for free.

Separating journal front-end and back-end. Many publishers use separate systems for submissions and serving content to end users. Exporting journal content for a static site generator would allow admins to maintain availability of the front-end and journal content, even if the back-end is temporarily unavailable (e.g. while upgrading).

Site tuning for users who are not logged in. Similarly, serving static content to users who are not logged in can usually be faster than serving dynamic content. For example, static content is more easily cached across CDNs, so small single-origin journal site would be able to enjoy a speed boost by using a CDN, while using the dynamic OJS back-end for submissions.

Function
Similar to current export and backup plugins, a static site export plugin would need to export

• Markdown files for each page on the journal site, including each article, article galley, and other pages (e.g. about the journal, submission guidelines).
  • Galley files
  • Website images

This would give an admin the content they would need to run a static site generator over their journal which would generate all the HTML files and structure according to the chosen/designed theme.

1 Like

Yes I agree! This would be handy and relatively easy to implement.
Why not separate back and frontend?