Errors occurred during install-OMP

Greetings: During the install of OMP, I get the following error: Errors occurred during installation
A database error has occurred: An unknown database connection error has occurred.
MySQL=5.7.13, PHP 7.0, Apache2.4.18. I changed DB driver to MySQLi (per your help) I have followed instructions of previous posts and turned the display_errors = on. In the php.ini file, I have changed line to display_errors = E_ALL. The following warnings/notices now display:

Notice: Only variables should be passed by reference in /var/www/html/omp/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php on line 210

Warning: Declaration of ValidatorUrl::getRegexp() should be compatible with ValidatorUri::getRegexp($allowedSchemes = NULL) in /var/www/html/omp/lib/pkp/classes/validation/ValidatorUrl.inc.php on line19

Warning: Declaration of MaintenanceForm::display() should be compatible with Form::display($request = NULL, $template = NULL) in/var/www/html/omp/lib/pkp/classes/install/form/MaintenanceForm.inc.php on line 19

Warning: Declaration of InstallForm::execute() should be compatible with Form::execute($object = NULL) in /var/www/html/omp/lib/pkp/classes/install/form/InstallForm.inc.php on line 20

Warning: Declaration of UpgradeForm::execute() should be compatible with Form::execute($object = NULL) in /var/www/html/omp/lib/pkp/classes/install/form/UpgradeForm.inc.php on line 0

Warning: Declaration of InstallHandler::validate($request) should be compatible with PKPHandler::validate($requiredContexts = NULL, $request = NULL) in/var/www/html/omp/lib/pkp/pages/install/InstallHandler.inc.php on line 20

Warning: Declaration of PKPOAIMetadataFormat_DC::toXml(&$dataObject, $format = NULL) should be compatible with OAIMetadataFormat::toXml($record, $format = NULL) in/var/www/html/omp/lib/pkp/plugins/oaiMetadataFormats/dc/PKPOAIMetadataFormat_DC.inc.php on line 0

Warning: Declaration of PayPalPlugin::displayPaymentSettingsForm(&$params, &$smarty) should be compatible with PKPPaymethodPlugin::displayPaymentSettingsForm(&$params, $smarty) in/var/www/html/omp/plugins/paymethod/paypal/PayPalPlugin.inc.php on line 18

uld be passed by reference in /var/www/html/omp/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php on line 210

Warning: Declaration of ValidatorUrl::getRegexp() should be compatible with ValidatorUri::getRegexp($allowedSchemes = NULL) in/var/www/html/omp/lib/pkp/classes/validation/ValidatorUrl.inc.php on line 19

Warning: Declaration of MaintenanceForm::display() should be compatible with Form::display($request = NULL, $template = NULL) in/var/www/html/omp/lib/pkp/classes/install/form/MaintenanceForm.inc.php on line 19

Warning: Declaration of InstallForm::execute() should be compatible with Form::execute($object = NULL) in /var/www/html/omp/lib/pkp/classes/install/form/InstallForm.inc.phpon line 20

Warning: Declaration of UpgradeForm::execute() should be compatible with Form::execute($object = NULL) in/var/www/html/omp/lib/pkp/classes/install/form/UpgradeForm.inc.php on line 0

Warning: Declaration of InstallHandler::validate($request) should be compatible with PKPHandler::validate($requiredContexts = NULL, $request = NULL) in/var/www/html/omp/lib/pkp/pages/install/InstallHandler.inc.php on line 20

Warning: Declaration of PKPOAIMetadataFormat_DC::toXml(&$dataObject, $format = NULL) should be compatible with OAIMetadataFormat::toXml($record, $format = NULL) in/var/www/html/omp/lib/pkp/plugins/oaiMetadataFormats/dc/PKPOAIMetadataFormat_DC.inc.php on line 0

Warning: Declaration of PayPalPlugin::displayPaymentSettingsForm(&$params, &$smarty) should be compatible with PKPPaymethodPlugin::displayPaymentSettingsForm(&$params, $smarty) in /var/www/html/omp/plugins/paymethod/paypal/PayPalPlugin.inc.php on line 18

Notice: Only variables should be passed by reference in /var/www/html/omp/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb-xmlschema.inc.php on line 268

Notice: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /var/www/html/omp/lib/pkp/classes/db/DBDataXMLParser.inc.php on line 54

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/omp/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb-xmlschema.inc.php:268) in/var/www/html/omp/lib/pkp/classes/template/PKPTemplateManager.inc.php on line 369

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/omp/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb-xmlschema.inc.php:268) in/var/www/html/omp/lib/pkp/classes/template/PKPTemplateManager.inc.php on line 372

Could you advise please on what I may be missing? Thanks kindly.

Hi @jules,

All of those are warnings, nothing critical. Can you try directing error messages to the log file, rather than to the user’s browser, by changing your PHP configuration? The specifics will depend on your host.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thank you kindly for your response. I did change the PHP settings so warnings are no longer displayed, but the one very first error still remains. Errors occurred during installation. A database error has occurred: An unknown database connection error has occurred.

What’s strange is OMP does create the “omp” mysql database, and I can see the DB connection was made by the “omp user”. I can also connect to the Mysql DB using command line directly on the server with this omp user.

in the Mysql logs, the only error I note is "Access denied for user ‘root’@‘localhost’ (using password:NO)

In the Host box, I have tried using IP address, localhost, & 127.0.0.1 (and matching that info in the Mysql Server Configuration and the config.inc.php file.)
I have started completely over, with the same results. :expressionless:

Does the omp directory have to have specific ownership to install?

Do you have any further suggestions?
Many thanks

Hi @jules,

You may have run into this issue – check the link for a patch to apply. Please let me know if you need more guidance, or if you can confirm whether this fixes the problem.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thank you for your response. After troubleshooting for a week with no success running PHP7.0, I installed PHPv5.6 yesterday and the install worked perfectly.

Hi @jules,

Thanks for following up. We haven’t widely tested PHP7 support yet, but it should be possible to use PHP7 if you change the database type to “MySQLi” instead of “MySQL”. If you’re happy using PHP5.6 for now, then that’s fine – we’ll probably release a few tweaks to better support PHP7 in the next OMP release.

Regards,
Alec Smecher