Error managing submissions after Upgrade 2.4.8-5 -> 3.2.1.1

Hi, i´m having a problem while trying to view the list of contents of a certain submission.

[Wed Sep 23 04:28:05.232904 2020] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 22869] [client 181.231.75.233:57954]
AH01071: Got error 'PHP message: PHP Fatal error:
Uncaught Error: Call to a member function getData() on null in /public_html/ojs3/classes/services/SubmissionService.inc.php:168
\nStack trace:\n#0

/public_html/ojs3/controllers/grid/toc/TocGridHandler.inc.php(147): APP\Services\SubmissionService->getInSections(‘87’, 1)
#1 /public_html/ojs3/lib/pkp/classes/controllers/grid/GridHandler.inc.php(314): TocGridHandler->loadData(Object(Request), NULL)
#2 /public_html/ojs3/lib/pkp/classes/controllers/grid/CategoryGridHandler.inc.php(446): GridHandler->getGridDataElements(Object(Request))
#3 public_html/ojs3/lib/pkp/classes/controllers/grid/CategoryGridHandler.inc.php(276): CategoryGridHandler->_renderCategoriesInternally(Object(Request))\

#4 public_html/ojs3/lib/pkp/classes/controllers/grid/GridHandler.inc.php(645): CategoryGridHandler->doSpecificFetchGridActions(Array, Object(Request)…’, referer: http://dermatolarg.opensa.com.ar/ojs3/index.php/dermatolarg/manageIssues

Others submission seems to be fine, what´s wrong?
Regards,
Victor

Hi @vito_perio,

Did you receive confirmation that the upgrade completed successfully? What version does OJS itself report it’s running? (See How do I determine my PKP software's version? for instructions on how to determine that.)

Thanks,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher,
It´s running
Yes, the update was completed successfully. showed the confirmation when finished.

Sorry, the tag was hidden. Shows content=“Open Journal Systems 3.2.1.1”

Hi @vito_perio,

Is it possible that the submissions that are missing were not designated against an existing section? (I’ve run into this in OJS 2.x data for cases where journals had either deleted the section the articles appeared in, or intentionally introduced a nonexistent section ID in order to prevent section headings from appearing.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Yes, you´re right. The editor tells me that the articles were hidden in OJS2. They´re counted in the new OJS3 but now he can´t access to the table of contents to re-assign they.
How can i fix this?
Regards
Victor

Hi @vito_perio,

You’ll probably have to fix this in the database directly. I’d suggest doing this before running the upgrade. Create a new section to add all of the “hidden” articles to, and assign all articles to it (the section_id column in the articles table, IIRC). Then run the upgrade process and you should be good to go.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks @asmecher
I found in the OJS3 DB that the submission has section_id field with null value. I´ve updated it with a valid value and also update the section_id field in publication table. Now it´s working but the problem is there are many submission without section id (214, i thought it was only one).
It would be good if i select all submission with null section_id and update they with valid section id and also update the appropriate row in publication table?

Regards
Victor

Hi @vito_perio,

Yes, there should always be a valid section specified for every publication (in OJS 3.2.x or newer) or submission (in OJS 3.1.2 and prior). Personally, I’d recommend fixing the data before running the upgrade process, but I’m not sure whether you’ll run into problems if you correct it afterwards.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like