Email Template Formatting/Tags?

Dear All:

I am trying to revise my journal’s Review Request template to make it more succinct. One thing I have noticed is that authors either don’t remember their username or didn’t save it to their browser, so I wanted to include the {$username} tag in the email template. But when I prepare to send an email using the template, OJS won’t recognize the {$username} tag in that email, but it will recognize all of the others.

So the template is as follows:

Dear {$reviewerName}:

I am writing to respectfully request that you serve as a reviewer for the American Review of Politics, an open access journal published by the University of Oklahoma Department of Political Science and University Libraries.

Title: {$articleTitle}

Abstract: {$articleAbstract}

The manuscript is at: {$submissionReviewUrl}

Your username is: {$username}

Thank you for considering this request.

Best regards,

(Editor’s Name)
The University of Oklahoma
Department of Political Science

and the result is:

Dear Andrew Kierig:

I am writing to respectfully request that you serve as a reviewer for the
American Review of Politics, an open access journal published by the
University of Oklahoma Department of Political Science and University
Libraries.

Title: State Making, State Breaking, and the Search for a Nation: Three Chapters in Austrian Political History

Abstract: My thesis is my thesis is…

The manuscript is at:
https://journals.shareok.org/arp/reviewer/submission/xxx

Your username is: {$username}

Thank you for considering this request.

Best regards,

(Editor’s Name)
The University of Oklahoma
Department of Political Science

The point being that it recognizes the other tags, but not {$username}. Is there a reason for this?

Is there any documentation on which tags are allowed in which templates?

We’re running 2.4.8.1.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Hi @akierig

OJS has some common variables shared by all email templates, but specific mail templates may add their own set of tags, e.g. REVIEW_REQUEST set of emails.

Template tag variable you should use is {$reviewerUsername}, as you can see in this link:

You may check other sets through this thread:

Regards,
Israel Cefrin
Public Knowledge Project Team

1 Like

Dear Israel:

Thanks for your reply. Is there a particular reason these codes aren’t documented somewhere? It seems like it could make things a lot easier.

Not being familiar with PHP code, and only ever getting on Github to find python packages, I never would have thought to check the source code.

Thanks
aak

1 Like

Hi @akierig

There is no a particular reason but, it is a “feature request” to documentation. We’re a small team with a lot of competing responsibilities. Although PKP team is constantly working in improvements, e.g. those in OJS3.1 are inspired by community feedback and user experience testing with OJS.
We will continue to introduce refinements to help editors to manage their journals as like to authors submit their manuscripts.
Your suggestion is a valid concerning and may be included in future documentation releases along others incoming issues. But it depends on internal planning of team.

Best Regards,
Israel Cefrin
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi, I am also working on our email templates. We only email the corresponding author {$authorName}; however, when the article is published I want to send a message to all the authors to congratulate them :clap::clap::clap::fireworks::sparkler::sparkles:
is there is a way to mention all the authors’ names using a tag like the one for the corresponding author?
We are running OJS 3.1.1.1
Thank you
Francisco

It sounds like you’d just be better off emailing them outside of OJS?

Hi, we have same problem here, but we are running OJS 3.1.2

Where I can find SectionEditorAction.inc.php in OJS 3.1.2?

Thanks for any help in advance!