Editorial history does not work

Hello!
I am using the git version of OJS (currently 125e2fa468), and the editorial history dialog stopped working for some submissions. When I try to open it, I see the following error in the apache log file:

HP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to a member function getFullName() on null in /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/user/PKPUserDAO.inc.php:465
Stack trace:
#0 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/log/EmailLogEntry.inc.php(129): PKPUserDAO->getUserFullName('0', true)
#1 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/controllers/grid/eventLog/EventLogGridCellProvider.inc.php(96): EmailLogEntry->getSenderFullName()
#2 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/controllers/grid/GridCellProvider.inc.php(49): EventLogGridCellProvider->getTemplateVarsFromRowColumn(Object(EventLogGridRow), Object(GridColumn))
#3 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/controllers/grid/GridHandler.inc.php(1096): GridCellProvider->render(Object(Request), Object(EventLogGridRow), Object(GridColumn))
#4 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/controllers/grid/GridHandler.inc.php(1003): GridHandler->_renderCellInternally(Object(Request), Object(EventLogGridRow), Object(GridColumn))
#5 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/controllers/grid/GridHandler.inc.php(980): GridHandler->renderRowInternally(Object(Request), Object(EventLogGridRo in /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/user/PKPUserDAO.inc.php on line 465

How do I further investigate and resolve this issue?

UPDATE
I’ve pinpointed the line that causes the problem. The file lib/pkp/classes/log/EmailLogEntry.inc.php, function getSenderFullName():

function getSenderFullName() {
$senderFullName =& $this->getData('senderFullName');

if(!isset($senderFullName)) {
    $userDao = DAORegistry::getDAO('UserDAO');
    $senderFullName = $userDao->getUserFullName($this->getSenderId(), true); # This is the line.
}

return ($senderFullName ? $senderFullName : '');
}

If I simply wrap the problematic line in try/catch, everything seems to work fine. Do I need to file a bug report about this?

1 Like

Hi @Taomach,

I suspect you have a database inconsistency – an entry in email_log that refers to a non-existent entry in users. Try this query:

SELECT e.sender_id FROM email_log e LEFT JOIN users u ON (e.sender_id = u.user_id) WHERE u.user_id IS NULL;

This will give you a list of entries in email_log that refer to nonexistent senders. These should be reviewed and either updated or removed.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Yes, I do have a bunch of entries in the email_log table where the sender_id is 0. These entries were probably corrupted when I ran the upgrade.php script after migrating from 3.1.1 to the git version of OJS. How do I make sure this does not happen in the future?

Hi @Taomach,

OJS should take care of keeping its database integrity intact. I’m not sure where these entries arose from.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Ok, I’ll just hope that it will work from now on, then. I removed the try/catch that I added earlier, fixed those entries, and it seems to have resolved the issue. Thank you for the great work and for your help with this. Have a great day!

1 Like

Hi @asmecher,

I have the same issue but only in one manuscript. How can I solve the issue? I try with the query and I found 131 rows, but I don’t know what need to do now…

regards,
Carlos

Hi @t4x0n,
I can tell you what I did. In may case the broken entries in the email_log table all had 0 in the sender_id field. So I did this:

SELECT from_address FROM email_log WHERE sender_id=0;

to see who the real senders were, and then for each address I SELECT'ed the user_id from the users table, and run

UPDATE email_log SET sender_id=$USER_ID_HERE WHERE sender_id=0 AND from_address='$FROM_ADDRESS_HERE';

In my case it helped.

Hi @asmecher , @Taomach

I have the same problem.

I did taomach’s solution, but nothing.

I have an Editorial history with sender_id = 0.

But i have another Editorial history with sender_id = 0 and it’s work ?¿?¿?¿

some suggestion? Thanks.

error.log:
Call to a member function getStageId() on null in /ojs/lib/pkp/classes/submission/PKPSubmissionFileDAO.inc.php on line 762, referer: https://xxxxxxxxxxxx/ojs/index.php/ramd/workflow/index/549/3

Hi @asmecher .

More information

Screenshot_2019-01-28%20phpmyadmin%20ctd%20junta-andalucia%20es%20mysql%20ctd%20junta-andalucia%20es%20ojs%20review_rounds%20phpMyAdmin%204%204%2015%2010 %5D

Hi @juanito,

What version of OJS are you using? (Please include this with your posts.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher
OJS 3.1.1.4.
Thank you very much

Hi @juanito,

This looks like a data error. Apparently you have an entry in notes with assoc_type = 1048586 (ASSOC_TYPE_QUERY) and an assoc_id that refers to a non-existent query_id in the queries table.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks @asmecher , can i delete this entry in notes?

MariaDB [ojs]> SELECT * FROM notes WHERE assoc_id=549 \G
*************************** 1. row ***************************
      note_id: 639
   assoc_type: 1048586
     assoc_id: 549
      user_id: 10
 date_created: 2018-09-13 12:59:13
date_modified: 2018-09-13 13:02:14
        title: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
     contents: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

MariaDB [ojs]> 

MariaDB [ojs]> SELECT * FROM queries WHERE assoc_id=549 \G
*************************** 1. row ***************************
     query_id: 617
   assoc_type: 1048585
     stage_id: 1
          seq: 1
  date_posted: NULL
date_modified: NULL
       closed: 1
*************************** 2. row ***************************
     query_id: 633
          seq: 2
       closed: 0
*************************** 3. row ***************************
     query_id: 634
          seq: 3
*************************** 4. row ***************************
     query_id: 635
          seq: 4
*************************** 5. row ***************************
     query_id: 791
     stage_id: 3
          seq: 5
5 rows in set (0.03 sec)

Hi @juanito,

You don’t want to match the assoc_id of the entry in notes with the assoc_id of the entry in queries – these are different things.

You’ll want to look for entries in notes with assoc_type = 1048586 (ASSOC_TYPE_QUERY) that don’t match any query_id in queries.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like

How does they relate notes and queries? Thanks

i tested

SELECT * FROM notes WHERE assoc_type = 1048586 AND assoc_id NOT IN (SELECT query_id FROM queries)

100 rows, result.

i don’t understand. Thanks and sorry for messages.

Hi @asmecher
Then, can i delete the 100 rows? Thanks.

Hi @juanito,

Hm, that’s quite a few. Essentially when you create a new discussion (“query” in code terms), it also creates a note that contains its subject and contents. (Further comments are added as new notes.) The assoc_type/assoc_id combination in the notes table indicates that the notes are attached to queries (assoc_type=1048586) and the assoc_id indicates which query (referring to the query_id in the queries table).

I’m not sure how you would end up with 100 notes that refer to non-existent queries. Do you know if there was some manual intervention in the database? Are you able to replicate this behavior e.g. by somehow creating a 101st case?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like