Editorial history does not work

Hi @asmecher,

I could identify my issue, in my case I was using an email to send automatic notifications to the users e.g. journal@university.com but this email is not been used by one user, so in this case OJS put sender_id as zero.

So, I commend this to keep in mind in case someone has the same issue or similar…

Hi @t4x0n,

Can you describe in more detail? I’m not sure I understand the issue or its resolution.

Thanks,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

@asmecher the issue is the same as describing @Taomach above, the Editorial History does not work in some submissions and when I see the database with this query:

SELECT from_address FROM email_log WHERE sender_id=0;

Like 200 records appear with sender_id=0, some of them occur randomly, I think like to @Taomach. But in my particular case, one record is repeated. The repeated record with sender_id=0 is generated when the system sends automatic emails for remembering to reviewers make the reviews.

I think this record sender_id=0 occur because does not exist one user with the email that I was using to send the automatic emails. For example, I am using something like this journal@university.com, but in the user table no one has this email, so it is impossible for the system put a sender_id because the user never exists.

I solve this just assigning the email to the admin and change these cases sender_id=0 to 1 (1 is the admin id)

I hope to explain better!

Hi @t4x0n,

Thanks for the details – that makes sense!

I’ve filed this for attention at Fix editorial history for emails with sender_id=0 · Issue #4655 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub – your fix is OK for the moment, but the fix I’m proposing there is to properly handle entries with sender_id=0 (which is a legitimate use case). Watch for an update on the issue link above.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @t4x0n,

Hmm, on some local testing with OJS 3.1.1-x, sender_id=0 seems not to cause problems. Can you clarify what version of OJS you were using? You mentioned a git pre-release version of some variety.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @t4x0n,

Never mind my last message – I found a commit where the issue has already been fixed. A patch is linked in the issue above.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

thank you @asmecher, so (if I understand) when occur some problem in the database and sender_is is 0 the Editorial History will not stop work? just some entries will be NULL, may be show null in the display or similar, right?

Hi @t4x0n,

The sender_id = 0 entries are valid according to OJS’s data model, but a change somewhere along the line made the presentation of that data stop working. The patch linked above will fix that problem, resulting in a blank name being presented when sender_id = 0 rather than an error being triggered.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like

Version 3.1.1.4 here.

I get “Call to a member function getStageId() on null in lib/pkp/classes/submission/PKPSubmissionFileDAO.inc.php:762” when “Editorial History” is clicked on some submissions.

I can’t tell if the above issue is the same one, but I can’t test the patch either since it is for code that doesn’t exist in this version. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hi @bdm,

I think that’s a slightly different issue, already filed here: orphan notes · Issue #4402 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

If you have information to add on that thread, especially if you’re able to review the existing content, it would be welcome.

Regards,
Alec Smecher