Dual language journal

The general workflow in OJS is to define a “default” language locale, and fill data from that into any alternate language locale that is missing translated data.

This is problematic when a user is not familiar with the primary locale, but is fluent in one or more of the alternate locales.

I don’t think always requiring multilingual entry is a general solution. With users, for example, a journal manager might want to allow the entry of name variations in any relevant language, but it is unlikely someone would be able to perform the entry in all possible languages.

I could imagine a journal wanting to curate robust translations for a bilingual journal and perhaps having the option to require dual language entry. That probably goes beyond the use case of just name entry, however. Requiring dual language entry would probably be a system-wide setting at that point.

1 Like

I might really miss something. So I’m ready to agree that the journal manager should have an option to either require dual language entry (for names and other fields in multilingual journals) or not.

E.g., in Russia it is really a prevalent practice: if you submit a paper, you must provide 1) your latinized name; 2) title in English; 3) abstract in English; 4) English keywords. Most often it is a necessary condition for paper submission and acceptance.

But as far as I can see, all those required fields are ‘hardcoded’ in OJS3. We cannot set which field is actually required and which is not. I believe, many of us would find such functionality really important.

Right now I have finished porting miltilingual names feature to OJS 2.4.8.1.

You can get diff on http://shoorick.ru/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/localizing-2481.diff.gz, these changes will appear on github ASAP.

I now that my hack isn’t ideal :slight_smile: but I hope it will work. Now I test how it works on http://vestnik06.susu.ru
Our journals use two languages: English and Russian.

Hi @shoorick,

Very interesting!

@ctgraham (and @jmacgreg), this will be of particular interest to you two.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher,
I use same method as described in https://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10488 — names stored as rows in tables user_settings and author_settings. We used patched old OJS 2.4.2 for three years for our journals but we have to upgrade it.

Best wishes,
Alexander Sapozhnikov
South Ural State University, Chelyabinsk, Russia

Hi @ctgraham,

Unfortunately, I could not attend PKP Sprint in October. Did you find any optimal solution to the problem of multilingual names in OJS3?

I would also like to add Roles titles to this. Since those are displayed on pages and depend on language too. See here:

Best,
Ivan

Our proposed changes for name internationalization are summarized as:

• Discriminate name localization based on script changes
  • that is, when installed locales diverge in script types (latin, cyrillic, arabic, etc.), then and only then, multilingual name entry is enabled.
  • Clarify “first” and “last” names as “given” and “surnames”. Require only “given” name.
  • This means that an institution or an organization would only have a given name, as well as individuals who use mononyms.
  • Provide optional fields to customize the display of the name in the event that name ordering is not “Given-name Surname”.
  • All users would be able to fill in a field “preferred method for being addressed”
  • Authors and reviewers would be able to add a “published name”
  • Citation plugins should provide a preview option, and allow the author to change the display of the name within the citation.

You can push other multilingual issues which don’t apply to names to this issue:
https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/issues/1807

Hi all,

as I’m interested in all parts of i18n just a few thoughts. Transliteration and Transcription depends always on set of rules which might differ locally (ISO, DIN cataloguing rules etc.) and over time. Here is an Example from VIAF (Virtual International Authority File)
So if a mechanism is implemented, the rules must be part of it and one should be prepared for changing rules.

But the first step is unambiguous identification (authority control) of the author. Even an author himself might enter different names from one submission to the other.

There we could rely more on ORCID.
ORCID allows the author to add additional name forms, but these are not qualified or controlled.

Claudia Jürgen

Hi @ctgraham,

Thank you for the detailed answer. Is there any forecast of when this might be introduced in OJS3?

Hi @cjuergen,

As to adding additional name forms, this is important too. But I think it is what @ctgraham meant here: [quote=“ctgraham, post:27, topic:13157”]
Authors and reviewers would be able to add a “published name”
[/quote]

Best,
Ivan

We are definitely interested in leveraging ORCID as the standard for author name disambiguation.

With regard to transliteration of names, we are planning on putting the weight of this on the authors and/or editors, rather than depending on an external Authority source.

User “Manoj Shyamalan” might elect to add a published-as name of “M. Night Shyamalan”, and might clarify for APA citation purposes that he wanted the name to appear as “Shyamalan, M.” if the default was “Shyamalan, M. N.”.

This has not been officially scheduled. I would anticipate this being added to the Pitt ULS’s development priorities for 2017, but don’t have a real timeline.

Hi @ctgraham,

Are there any news concerning proper name internalization. Has it been scheduled? Could we track it somehow? Thanks!

This is not currently scheduled. One of the next steps is enable longer locale names · Issue #1911 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub where we introduce script variants into locales. The differences of script variants will be one of the distinguishing characteristics of internationalized names.

1 Like

Hi @ctgraham,
Sorry for reminding, but is there any hope that name internationalization would be scheduled? The issue above seems to be closed now.

Hi @Ph_We,

The above issue is to allow encoding to be specified as part of the locale name, permitting the same language to be used in multiple encodings (e.g. Serbian in both Latin and Cyrillic). That was merged and will be included in OJS 3.1.

As for multilingual author names, this is still a priority for us and will be addressed in a future release. It hasn’t been scheduled specifically yet, however.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

1 Like

OJS 3 is not suitable at all for journals that publish articles in two languages. What are the technical arguments that do not provide a possibility to input in metadata the author’s name and References in the second language? Just do in the same way as title, affiliation etc.

Article landing page has 1 URL for different languages. And that had been the biggest problem for our multilanguage journal until we solved it.

I don’t think Google Scholar will index 2 different meta-data that are on the same URL.

@Vitaliy I like your solution using subdomains as a language prefix for multi-language OJS sites.

Probably, it would be good to have some sort of relation visible between the article landing pages across the language subdomains. There does not appear to be a standardized link relation for translations, however.

Do you have a public OJS site where this is already rolled out and you could see the result of this change in terms of Google Scholar indexing?

I had made appropriate modifications of google scholar and DC plugin only a few days ago. So, need to wait several weeks to see the changes in indexing. For now, 2 languages are indexed only in Google.
Our site:

Let’s first make OJS 3 working with DUAL LANGUAGE metadata (author’s names and references)! I agree the indexing is important but …

1 Like