Different templates for automated review request reminder and automated review reminder?

Dear all,

as mentioned by @asmecher in post #1034, OJS (at least up to 2.4.5 which is the version we are running) uses the same template for an automatic review request reminder and for automatic review reminder. I think that this approach is not optimal, as the automatic review request reminder (i.e. the text that is being automatically sent by OJS to a reviewer that did not yet react to a review request but still has some time to complete the review) looks as follows:

Subject [NNW] Automated Submission Review Reminder

Just a gentle reminder of our request for your review of the submission,
"PARAMETERIZATION OF RBF NEURAL NETWORKS VIA COMBINATION OF 
UNSUPERVISED PROCEDURES AND A NEW WAY OF SCALING PARAMETERS," for Neural
Network World. We were hoping to have this review by 2015-10-22, and 
this email has been automatically generated and sent with the passing of
that date. We would still be pleased to receive it as soon as you are 
able to prepare it.

Submission URL: http://ojs.nnw.cz/reviewer/submission/60?key=<edited out>

Please confirm your ability to complete this vital contribution to the work
of the journal. I look forward to hearing from  you.

In this text

1. The yet unconfirmed reviewer is reminded of the review deadline 2015-10-22 but not of the review request deadline 2015-09-30 (which he did not meet and therefore the reminder has been generated). Note the text this email has been automatically generated and sent with the passing of that date, which applies only to the review request.
  2. We are using one-click reviews, and when I look in the e-mail archive to see the e-mails that were sent out, I can see the access key in plaintext in the archived automated reminder e-mail, while for the original review request e-mail the key is masked out. I have no opinion on what is appropriate (sometimes being able to log in via one-click is nice to see that everything works as expected), I would just expect the behaviour to be consistent …

I can of course change the wording of the template to say something like “We were hoping to have your review confirmed by 2015-09-30 and the review itself by 2015-10-22, and …” but I am not sure if the template variable {$weekLaterDate} used for REVIEW_REQUEST_ONECLICK template can be used also within REVIEW_REMIND_AUTO_ONECLICK and if its value would be set to 2015-09-30 or to 2015-10-16 if I use it today.

I guess the best way would be to split both actions and have a separate review reminder and a review request reminder. This would however require quite a bit of modifications of OJS, I suppose. Or is it more or less straightforward?

Thanks for ideas.

Jan

1 Like

Hi @jprk,

This is a request we get sometimes, and I agree that it would make more sense to use two templates. We’ve been hesitant to split them, however, because of the number of modes of operation for these emails. There are manual reminders, automatic reminders, and one-click mode vs. normal mode. Adding another permutation would double this further to 8 templates to manage.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alec
I would really like to see two different templates with reference to the correct deadline and text. We receive quite a lot of complaints.
Regards
Niels Erik

Hi @nef/all,

I’ve filed this for attention in OMP 1.2 and OJS 3.0:

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi all,

See also this pull request:

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,
Can you tell me if this was fixed in OJS-2.4.8.
When I upgrade one of our journals to OJS-2.4.8 and looked in the Release Notes.
I am seeing Bug Fix #1054: Split review reminder emails to separate request and review reminders.
Was the the existing REVIEW_REQUEST and REVIEW_REQUEST_ONECLICK templates for the automated review request reminder emails modified. They still look the same.

Just trying to understand what was changed in 2.4.8 in regards to this issue.

Thanks,
Edward

Hi @EdwardDavid,

See this comment. The existing templates were used as defaults, as we didn’t have a formal translation round for OJS 2.4.8. You can edit the text as Journal Manager.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hey there,

we have now version 2.4.8.0. Now there seem to exist different templates for automated review request reminder and automated review reminder. However, the subject and body of the automated review request reminder is empty as I could see within the History of the articles. However, I cannot find such a prepared email to fix this problem. Do you have a solution?

Kind regards
Anja

Hi @Sleipnir,

The new email body should have been installed on upgrade. Did you run the upgrade script, and was it successful?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher
I found the same problem, on OJS 2.4.8.

Automatic review reminder messages are sent by OJS, but they are empty, both in the subject and in the body.
When I ran the upgrade script, it was succesful.

I just checked and I found these templates:

• REVIEW_REMIND
  • REVIEW_REMIND_AUTO
  • REVIEW_REMIND_ONECLICK
  • REVIEW_REQUEST_REMIND_AUTO_ONECLICK

Andrea

Hi @marchitelli,

Are these being sent via cron, or using the Acron plugin?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

With the migration, we moved to Acron plugin; before was a cronjob (and now it comes up to my mind that before it was working).
andrea

Hi @marchitelli,

Hmm, I was thinking about Prevent email sending interaction with acron plugin · Issue #722 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub but that one was corrected with OJS 2.4.6-1. Is it an option to go back to cron (I’d recommend using it over Acron when available anyway) to see if that has an effect?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

My code is the same that in ojs/ReviewReminder.inc.php at ojs-stable-2_4_8 · pkp/ojs · GitHub

I restarted the cronjob
5 15 * * * php /ojs/tools/runScheduledTasks.php
now we need to wait a couple of days to verify the email sending because I prefere to check on a real instance and not on a test.

I’ll let you know, thanks!
Andrea

Hi Alec,
I just received an automatic reminder: the message is blank (contains only the string – The following message is being delivered on behalf of XXXX – and the footer) and the subject is blank, too.

Scheduled tasks are managed by cronjob, at the momentThe cronjob active.
This is my scheduled_tasks table (and it seems to me quite strange!!

"tasks.ReviewReminder";"2015-06-14 15:05:04.042569"
"tasks.SubscriptionExpiryReminder";"2015-06-14 15:05:04.188572"
"tasks.OpenAccessNotification";"2015-06-14 15:05:04.221129"
"plugins.generic.pln.classes.tasks.Depositor";"2016-07-19 08:43:37"
"plugins.importexport.datacite.DataciteInfoSender";"2016-07-19 08:46:29"
"classes.tasks.ReviewReminder";"2016-07-22 15:05:05.86307"
"plugins.generic.alm.ArticleInfoSender";"2016-07-19 09:07:24"
"plugins.importexport.medra.MedraInfoSender";"2016-07-19 09:12:02"
"classes.tasks.SubscriptionExpiryReminder";"2016-07-22 15:05:05.899363"
"plugins.importexport.crossref.CrossrefInfoSender";"2016-07-19 10:26:34"
"classes.tasks.OpenAccessNotification";"2016-07-22 15:05:05.926184"
"plugins.generic.usageStats.UsageStatsLoader";"2016-07-19 11:41:24"

Andrea

Hi @marchitelli,

Hmm, I’m not sure which of the templates will be used for this, but the full set is…

REVIEW_REMIND
REVIEW_REQUEST_REMIND_AUTO
REVIEW_REQUEST_REMIND_AUTO_ONECLICK
REVIEW_REMIND_AUTO
REVIEW_REMIND_ONECLICK
REVIEW_REMIND_AUTO_ONECLICK

The _AUTO templates are the most relevant. Make sure all of these are present in your system.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher
all these templates are present in the system.

andrea

Hi @asmecher and @marchitelli
I have the same problem with the empty reminder emails after upgrade to 2.4.8. The upgrade was ok. I found that in my case it is caused by missing records (REVIEW_REQUEST_REMIND_AUTO and REVIEW_REQUEST_REMIND_AUTO_ONECLICK) in my databases (email_templates_default and email_templates_default_data). The confusing is I can edit REVIEW REQUEST REMIND AUTO in the settings of the website of journal! Probably there is edited record REVIEW REQUEST again and not REVIEW REQUEST REMIND AUTO which is actually missing in the databases. But I am not sure. Anyway, could I repair it by only manual inserting of missing records into the databases with the unique last email_id?
Thanks a lot
Vladim

Hi @havlik,

You could try using the web interface to create the missing entries, grabbing the subject and body text from the XML files for your specific languages.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,
thank you for your reply. I corrected missing entries via web interface and it is ok now. But I have another problem with other entries. REVIEW_REQUEST_ONECLICK_SUBSEQUENT is not possible to see (and edit as well) in the web interface. I tried delete it from both (default and default data) and than create it again via web interface. It was possible but unfortunately it is not possible to see it again. I tried create another entry with id REVIEW_REQUEST_ONECLICK_S and this is possible to see it and edit (but this email is not used for anything, of course). REVIEW_REQUEST_ONECLICK_SUBSEQUENT entry is functioning normally for request of review in the second round. The only thing is that it is not listed in web interface. We are on 2.4.8.1. Have you got some idea how to correct this?
Thank you very much