Cc and bcc field when sending emails from OJS

@NateWr @asmecher

Dear PKP team,

After delivering some training in OJS 3, some of our editors have requested the possibility of adding a cc and bcc field when sending emails from OJS. For example when they send comments to authors (See screenshot)

We have noticed that the request is also common in other OJS 3 users and it has recorded as an issue on Add recipient control on email forms · Issue #743 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub.

Is it any chance to have this functionality delivered in the following version of OJS 3?

Our editors would appreciate that :wink:

Arley Soto20%20PM
BITECA

Hi @asoto,

This is filed as a feature request over at Add recipient control on email forms · Issue #743 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

1 Like

I have tried to uncheck the enable one click access review but still there isnt any field that showing CC and BCC

Dear @asoto @asmecher

Any updates concerning the CC email on OJS version 3.2?
Is there any temporary solution?

D Đ HUNG

Hi @ddhung,

No; you can watch for progress at the above Github Issue link.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like

This is something we hope to tackle as part of our work on emails and notifications. On our roadmap this work is planned for the 3.4 and 3.5 releases.

1 Like

I do not see this on the roadmap for 3.4/3.5. Is this still planned?

I see a workaround may be to disabled One-Click Reviewer Access, but we wish to retain that feature while also being able to add CC/BCC to emails we send.

1 Like

Hi @guitman444,

In 3.4 we are working on improvements to the email selection, draft and preview workflow, which would include the ability to add CC/BCC. However, we won’t be able to implement this for all emails in 3.4. We hope to support all email sending eventually, but 3.4 will probably only support discussions and maybe editor decisions.

You can learn more about the new UI here:

1 Like

Recenlly a colleague contacted me referring to this post and arguing that it is a “security issue involving the leaking of private user data” so I have the impulse of sharing some thoughts with you all, just in case somebody else arrives here with doubts.

Let’s see… I need to be crystal clear with this and I will challenge in a duel at the break of dawn, with anyone who defends that what I say is not true: :wink:

• This is not against GDPR, as far authors accepted the “Privacy Note”.
  • This “is not a bug, it’s a feature”… because we like authors know the mail was sent to ALL authors (to coordinate their response to talk to Editorial staff with a single voice).
  • And… well… the authors know each other, right? They have written and presented the article together, right? For God’s sake, how could this be a personal data leak?

That said, if the feature request is “being able to choose whether the email is CC or BCC” (as Arley asked from the begining) that sounds as a nice addition for very specific contexts and I’m in, but let’s call a spade a spade or we’re going to generate FUD about the software we use and love.

Hi all,

And just a heads-up on the status of this feature request: we’ve added CC and BCC fields to a new email sending toolkit. That’s only been applied to the new editorial decision wizard so far (released in OJS/OMP/OPS 3.4.0), but as we revise older parts of the UI, we’ll be applying the same toolkit there. So you can expect to see CC/BCC fields roll out more broadly.

It’s up to privileged users to use these fields responsibly! We can code for good practice but we can’t force it.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like