Batch import reviewers

Hi PKP,

We have been batch importing reviewers using the import user plugin. We have created usernames and passwords for each, with the stipulation that they must change password on next login.

Will the reviewers receive an email when they are registered? The journals that we are doing this for have a ton of reviewers, so we want to make sure that they are setting up their accounts and being notified that they are registered.

Emily

Hi @emilycarlisle,

I presume you’re asking about OJS – what version are you using? (Please include this in your posts.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Oops, sorry @asmecher,

OJS 3.1.

Hi @emilycarlisle,

Notification functionality has already been implemented for OJS 3.x (Refine password element for user import (and possibly export) · Issue #3462 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub), but won’t be released until OJS 3.2 – however, if you’re handy with applying patches, you should be able to add it to your OJS without much work.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks, @asmecher. I’m glad that there’s a patch.

I just want to make sure that I am understanding this correctly. If we apply a patch, the system will send an email notification to all users that we import, even if we import our own passwords? Or do we need to leave that field blank and have the system create a password in order for the email notification to be sent?

Emily

Hi @emilycarlisle,

Starting with OJS 3.2, the new feature will work as follows: If you don’t specify a password, OJS will automatically assign a randomly-generated password and email it to the user. It’ll force the user to change the password on login.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks @asmecher. If we apply the patch to OJS 3.1, it will work the same way?

Hi @emilycarlisle,

Yes – I haven’t tested back-porting this to OJS 3.1, but I don’t believe there were any other changes that went into that code, so it should be fairly easy to apply.

Regards,
Alec Smecher