Wrong sender in email-template (reviewers)

Hello there,

I have a problem with a pretty old journal: if the reviewer makes a comment for a submission and the email gets send, it is his email adress which is shown in the sender field. However, because of the blind peer review process it is necessary it is a standard adress (like principal contact).
I couldn’t find the template of this email among the prepared emails, so I assume it is generated elsewhere. However, because of the age of this journal there are several templates missing.
Could you please tell me where to find this template and how to change the sender adress?

We are using OJS 2.4.8.1

Kind regards
Daniela

Hi @UBWolf,

All reviewer/author communication should be mediated through the Editor – authors shouldn’t be directly copied on reviewer emails. Can you confirm that something different is happening with your installation?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher,

the journal manager uses the default review form with the two fields. I guess the reviewer put his comment into the one for both authors and editors.

Kind regards
Daniela

Hi @UBWolf,

Even so, the form contents should only be sent to the Author when the Editor imports them into an email, reviews the text, and sends them to the Author; that email should come from the Editor, not the Reviewer.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

thanks for your answer. What I’ve learned so far: The author has also the role as editor, so that explains why he got the email. But there are still questions:

1. not every editor got the email although everyone has made the settings for it
  2. the emails had a different sender before (not just this email, but all of them - I guess it was the main contact, but I’m not sure). That was better for us, because this way an editor could publish in his own journal but didn’t see with the email who the reviewer is. Is there a way to change this?

Kind regards
Daniela

Hi @asmecher,

it sems there is no solution for my problem. Am I right? That’s ok with me, but I would need a confirmation if you are able to.

Kind regards
Daniela

Hi @UBWolf,

We’ve made two recent changes to email addressing in an attempt to avoid some recently-popularized email rules that were resulting in OJS emails getting sent to spam filters. As I recall, OJS 2.4.8 changed so that the sender was the journal’s primary contact for all emails, with an email header explaining to the user who was responsible for sending.Then with OJS 2.4.8-1, we reverted that change and made some tweaks to email headers that resulted in emails being more palatable to most email servers.

As for who is receiving that email and why, I’m still not sure I know how you’re sending that email. What link are you clicking to compose the message? A screenshot might help.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

thank you for the explanation! As far as I understand it, the notification I’m talking about can be set here (marked red):

And I think it must be sent after a reviewer posted a comment here (marked red):

Kind regards
Daniela

Hi @UBWolf,

Ah, that’s helpful – I was considering a different message. That message should be sent to all associated Editors, Proofreaders, Copyeditors, and Layout Editors – basically everyone involved with the submission except the Author and Reviewer.

See e.g. classes/submission/sectionEditor/SectionEditorAction.inc.php in the postPeerReviewComment function:

$notificationUsers = $article->getAssociatedUserIds(false, false);

This fetches the list of recipients.

If I were debugging a problem with recipients, I would start here by adding some error_log / print_r statements to dump recipients to the log.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec,

thanks a lot! My IT colleagues will try it out.
Another question: Would it be possible to change the sender to one adress for all the emails? After your explanation I guess it would require huge changes, but maybe there is a manageable way.

Kind regards
Daniela

Hi @UBWolf,

One easy way to accomplish that would be to use a gmail SMTP account for mail sending; see: http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Using_gmail_SMTP

Gmail automatically rewrites the sender to be the account holder.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

thank you! I’ll take a look :slight_smile:

Kind regards
Daniela