Why use and install OJS?

Hi guys, I need the advantages and disadvantages of OJS vs web developer ??

Cheers!!!

Hi @Ulises_Ayala,

Do you mean the advantages of using OJS vs developing your own journal publishing software tool? The main advantage of using OJS is you get an out-of-the-box software tool with all of the built-in features described on our website and in this brochure, which is free to use under an open source license. But perhaps if you have a very unique workflow and would need to extensively customize OJS to accommodate your journal, then it might be better to develop your own tool.

I welcome other OJS users to comment about their experiences!

Best,
Amanda Stevens
Public Knowledge Project Team

In most cases, making own CMS for the journal is overkill. Before opening our journal, I have tested several variants, including Wordpress and Ambra (PLoS journals). I have choosen OJS because of community, specificity for scientific journals and good coding style. I have learnt OOP on OJS :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @Ulises_Ayala

I have worked for many years in publishing (both big and small publishing houses) and I can really recommend OJS. “Big” publishers often use expensive systems like Editorial Manager and Manuscript Central, but in my experience OJS is even better than those paid-for systems. The editorial workflow is very straight-forward (even the most technically challenged editors can handle it ;)) and the production side of things is good, too. Also, you can get the journal website to look really good!

All in all, I think it is hard to come across another all-inclusive system (peer-review, production, publishing platform/website and indexing) that compares to OJS.

Best wishes,
Emma

1 Like