What is Lucene Faceting Block?

Hi,
Under ‘Website settings’> ‘Appearance’> ‘Setup’ – ‘Sidebar’ you can select ‘Lucene Faceting Block’. When I enable it, I can’t see any changes happening on the website. Does anyone know what function it has. Maybe it should not appear on this page at all.
lucene

Best
Niels Erik

Hi @nef,

What platform (e.g. OMP/OJS) and what specific version are you using? Can you please identify these things when you post, as it helps us in troubleshooting the problem.

I can’t say I’ve ever seen that. My (limited) understanding of Lucene is that this would be tied to Apache’s Lucene and allows for faceting of certain metadata categories (Facet Userguide) - but I’m not sure what it does exactly in OJS (assuming you are using OJS).

-Roger
PKP Team

Hi @rcgillis
Sorry I forgot. I’m testing OJS 3.2.1.3
Best
Niels Erik

Hi @nef,

I was able to find a little more information about the Lucene faceting here: Querying,
And here is the plugin here: GitHub - ojsde/lucene: Plugin for Solr/Lucene support in OJS.
-there is a really good explanation about the plugin in the README file.

Looks like it is developed by the good folks at OJS-de. At first I was confused why I couldn’t find it amongst PKP’s plugin gallery. I noted that their README file indicates that it has only be tested in version 3.1.2, so you may want to see if they can test it to be compatible with later versions of OJS/PKP software.

-Roger

Hi @rcgillis ,
Thank you very much for the answer.
Best
Niels Erik

Hi @nef,

As part of the optimization of external search support for OJS, the PKP Technical Committee is looking for use cases and relevant experience with the Lucene/Solr plugin for OJS.

GitHub - ojsde/lucene: Plugin for Solr/Lucene support in OJS. or via Plugin-Gallery

We are going to organize a meeting with all the interested parties. If you are interested in sharing requirements, user experiences and use cases, please feel free to contact me.

Regards,
Dulip Withanage