What does "Include this contributor in browse lists?" mean exactly when adding contributor metadata on submission?

What does “Include this contributor in browse lists?” mean exactly when adding contributor metadata upon submission? Authors have no idea what this means and are confused by the option. Is there a way to easily hide the question and have it checked by default?

Hi @James_MacDonald,

What version of OJS are you using? Please include this in your posts.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alec,

I am running 3.0.2.0.

Hi @James_MacDonald,

Contributors for whom “Inlcude this contributor in browse lists” is turned off won’t be listed with the submission’s authors when they’re presented on the front end in a short list. This might be useful for contributors who deserve credit but aren’t strictly speaking the “authors” of the submission – consider e.g. translators.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

sorry if I reply to this old old topic, but I noticed an issue with “Include this contributor in browse lists”.

I use OJS 3.3.0-6. The authors can turn off “Include…lists” for any contributors in a paper without encourring in error. But in this case, when the editor records a decision in the Review step, he gets a generic error because the email cannot be sent to anyone.

I troubled a lot to understand that the inclusion in the browse lists is equivalent to be a recipient for editorial communications. A contributor who turned off “Include…lists” doesn’t receive any message about editor’s decision. Even if that contributor is enabled as Corresponding Author!

To me this is not logical, because a translator (for example) should be part of the review phase as well as a main author (the revisors could reject a paper due to the bad translation).

But even if it’s an accepted behavior, the Corresponding Author should be always informed about editor’s decision, isn’t it?

Best regards,
Michele