Vancouver Citation Style format : extra spaces between date parts

[Context : OJS 3.2.1-4 ; Citation style plugin version 0.1.0.0]

Hi,

Shouldn’t the date parts within the citation (Vancouver citation format only) be separated with spaces?

e.g.:
Jung I. An elaborated model of student support to allow for gender considerations in Asian distance education. test [Internet]. 2018Apr.12 [cited 2020Sep.9];1(3).
(taken from An elaborated model of student support to allow for gender considerations in Asian distance education | OJS3 Testdrive Journal) (another example is the screen capture here: Some changes in vancouver style citation)

2018Apr.12 => 2018 Apr. 12
[cited 2020Sep.9] => [cited 2020 Sep. 9]

Also my understanding (I am no expert, someone correct me if I am wrong) is that month should be abbreviated as specified by a locale value (for example, “Nov” in en_US for November) but without a final period “.” at the end :

2018Apr.12 => 2018 Apr 12
[cited 2020Sep.9] => [cited 2020 Sep 9]

(sources/examples consulted : Vancouver system - Wikipedia, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK7282/#A32682, Samples of Formatted References for Authors of Journal Articles)

I did not find anything about this in the citeproc-php issues list (and have not installed the citeproc-php locally to see if it throws the same format).

Has someone here looked at this issue ?

Thanks,

Marie-Hélène V.
Bibliothèques, Université de Montréal

Hi @Marie-Helene,

I tried generating a Vancouver citation using citeproc-php directly and got a similar problem with the dates; I suspect it’s either a citeproc-php problem or a Vancouver CSL problem. Here’s a minimal example to demonstrate it with citeproc-php:

<?php
require('vendor/autoload.php');

use Seboettg\CiteProc\StyleSheet;
use Seboettg\CiteProc\CiteProc;

$style = StyleSheet::loadStyleSheet('vancouver');
$citeProc = new CiteProc($style);
echo $citeProc->render([
        (object) [
                'type' => 'article-journal',
                'title' => 'The Signalling Theory Dividends: A Review Of The Literature And Empirical Evidence',
                'issued' => (object) ['raw' => '2020-10-29'],
        ]
], 'bibliography');

Output:

<div class="csl-bib-body">
  <div class="csl-entry"><div class="csl-left-margin">1. </div><div class="csl-right-inline">The Signalling Theory Dividends: A Review Of The Literature And Empirical Evidence. 2020Oct.29;. </div></div>

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thank you @asmecher. So do I understand correctly that at this point this is the kind of issue that should be reported to Issues · seboettg/citeproc-php · GitHub ? If not, what would be the next step to resolve that issue? thank you.

Marie-Hélène

Hi @Marie-Helene,

Yes, that’s a good place to start – I’m not 100% sure the issue is not in the Vancouver format, but it’s likely to be in citeproc-php.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

(This is filed at: Vancouver Citation Style format : spaces between date parts ? · Issue #94 · seboettg/citeproc-php · GitHub)