Users roles (ojs 3.0.2)

Hi… I needed to ask them about users.
Can a Journal Editor user delete a Journal Manager user?

Thanks

Currently, a journal editor has access to disable a journal manager account.

In OJS 3.0.2, within a single-journal install with , I verified that the Editor has permission to manipulate Journal Manager accounts including “Login As”, “Add” and “Remove”.

This seems like a bug to me.

I thought it was a bug in my setup only, but I see it’s generic.
I also see it as a bug.
Thanks

Hi @ctgraham and @dmeligeni,

Have a look at the “Users & Roles” interface, on the “Roles” tab, where the various journal roles are defined. In OJS 3.x, both “Editor” and “Journal Manager” are considered to be managerial roles, with access to the “Log In As” feature – that is, OJS doesn’t distinguish between “Editor” and “Journal Manager” when determining permission levels. (Administrators, however, are another situation – Editors and Journal Managers are not able to manage Administrators.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

I’m not seeing this distinction in the Roles tab.

I do see a hint of this when adding a Role to a User:

Hi @ctgraham,

It’s the “Permission Level” drop-down that should be the same for both roles. The Site Administrator and Journal Manager items under that drop-down have access to e.g. the “Log In As” feature.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hello,

The feature “Log in as” is only available for the site adminstrator, the other journal manager roles can’t access this option as before. Someone has a similar problem?

Thank you,
Best regards

Hi @digitojs,

What version are you working with? (Please include this with your posts.)

The option should be available to journal managers as before – where are you looking? A screenshot or something might be useful.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

OJS 3.0.2, sorry.

Im intrigued because it stoped being available. It isn’t available anymore in “Users & Roles” in the dropdown menu for any user, and also inside a submission a journal manager had that option for the listed participants and now it isn’t available.

(This happens in more than one journal and I checked some users in the DB and role 16 is assigned to them)

Thank you!
Best regards

Hi @digitojs,

You may not be allowed to Log In As a particular user, which might explain why the option is not present. To be able to log in a user, you must either be a Site Administrator, or you must be a Journal Manager to all the journals that a user account is active in. This is to prevent Journal Managers from interfering with users of other journals.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

Thank you for your reply.
I had the same perspective and idea about this, but several journal managers started to have this “problem” and it wasn’t an issue that happened before. Tested it and it seemed odd to me too. I think maybe because some users assigned themselves or were assigned to other journals, which caused this situation to rise up.
I’ll look it up and see how this could be managed, but probably as it is already and every change made by site administrator.

Thank you,
Best regards