User Requesting Reviewer Role at Registration is Auto-assigned Role?

I upgraded our test site from OJS 2.4.4.1 to 3.1.0.1. In testing registration, where the user is asked “Would you be willing to review submissions to this journal?” with a tickbox next to “Yes, request the Reviewer role” one of our test users ticked that option and clicked the Register button. The Journal Manager checked users to verify registration and found not only had the user been registered but was actually also assigned the Reviewer role.

We would prefer that the tickbox did what we thought it would do - REQUEST that the person be considered for assignment as a Reviewer, which would notify the Journal Manager, who would then have the ability to assign or not.

Given that this new version is quite a change from our previous ancient version, we may have overlooked some setting somewhere, or something is awry in our installation. Please advise.

Hi @iskye,

That could be a useful new feature – but do I misunderstand that your OJS 2.4.4-1 behaved this way? I don’t think there’s any similar feature in OJS 2.x.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

I don’t believe it was part of 2.4.4.1 but when a new user tested
registering on our 3.1.0.1 test site, he saw the tickbox with the option to
request to be a reviewer which he ticked. We thought that would simply
flag him as someone willing to become a reviewer, so the Journal Manager
could vet him before giving him that role. Instead, OJS went ahead and
assigned him the role. That was what surprised us.

Hi @iskye,

That’s the same as OJS 2.x. In both cases you can turn off the option for users to self-register as reviewers.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team