User names missing in English version after updating to OJS 3.1.2

We have a similar problem to [SOLVED] Update 3.1.2. Name user missing

On our OJS platform there are several journals, some in German only, some in English only, some in both German and English (some of them with primary locale “German”, some with primary locale “English”)

After updating from 3.1.1.4 to 3.1.2, in the German language version everything’s fine, but in the English version the user names are missing in the “Users & Roles” page. The fields “Given name”, “Family nme” and “Preferred Public Name” are empty.

It doesn’t matter if the journal is only available in English or not, or if the primary locale is English or not.

We have thousands of users, so I don’t want to enter all “English” user names by hand. Is there a chance to do this automatically?

1 Like

We have the same issue. I think names should be displayed for all locales, whether they exist for those locales or not.

we made the change in the database in the table user_settings …
first we export to an excel all the fields of the table user_settings where the condition was that of the field settings_name were familyName or givenName.
then we modify the local field of es_ES to en_US because we handle English and Spanish, in your case it would be changed to the initials that correspond to the German.
To finish we import this same excel to the user_settings table.
if you can try it first in a test database it would be great.
I know it’s something long but it worked
Have a nice day!!

1 Like

@asmecher, I think it might be a bug, since after the upgrade user names should not ‘migrate’ to a secondary locale if English is chosen as primary (we have the same issue).

Thanks for sharing your work-around. We’ve made this changes now, too and the user names are now shown again in English and German.

1 Like

Hi all,

Can you describe your language settings in a little more detail? What is the site’s primary language, and what is the (problem) journal’s primary language? For those of you who have worked around it by adding database content manually, what did you run?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

1 Like

@asmecher - Hi Alec, primary locale of our OJS is German. Primaly locale of our journals is in some cases English, in some cases German. After updating the fields “Given name”, “Family name” and “Preferred Public Name” were empty in the English version in all journals. Changes in our database were done by my colleague Andreas @graupp. I will ask him, to share the changes he has done.

1 Like

We have the same issue. In our case some journals have Russian locale as primary and some have English as primary. However, in all cases those fields are empty in the English version.

Hi all,

Can you confirm whether this matches the description at [OJS 3.1.2] When switching to english language name and given name of users are not displayed · Issue #4675 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like

I do confirm.
However, we have at least one journal, which was initially created with only one locale: English. So most of those user names were entered in that locale. Only recently they have added a secondary locale (Russian). After upgrading to 3.1.2 all the user names for the English locale (primary) are now missing.

Might this PR be related?
https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/pull/3194

@litvinovg?

Hello all, Hello @asmecher,

We have a similar problem.

I upgraded recently to OJS 3.1.2

We host several journals. Some are in English only, some are in French only and some in both languages with English as primary or French as primary.

Since we upgraded in 3.1.2, Names of users are not displayed any more in backend. For example for this journal in English only:
pbm_display_name01
pbm_display_name02
When we edit a user, both languages French and English are mandatory
pbm_display_name03

In the log file, they are the following errors:
Cannot use a scalar value as an array in /var/www/journals/lib/pkp/classes/core/DataObject.inc.php on line 133
Undefined index: en_US in /var/www/ojs3/lib/pkp/classes/controllers/grid/DataObjectGridCellProvider.inc.php on line 69

Do you need more informations ?
Is there a solution to this problem ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.
Best regards.
Helene

1 Like

Hi @hcl,

The conversation about this should continue over at [OJS 3.1.2] When switching to english language name and given name of users are not displayed · Issue #4675 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub.

Regards,
Alec Smecher