Upgrading to OJS 3.0 from 2.4.8.0: Cannot view journal masthead

Dear All,

I upgraded from OJS 2.4.8.0 to 3.0 by following the instructions. Everything went well. I set the “installation=on” to “installation=off” and then chosen the upgrade link in the web interface. At this time, the install page displayed many errors as given below.

Strict Standards: Declaration of RelatedItemsBlockPlugin::getContents() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getContents($templateMgr, $request = NULL) in/home/indianfo/scigreen.com/plugins/blocks/relatedItems/RelatedItemsBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 50

Strict Standards: Declaration of InformationBlockPlugin::getContents() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getContents($templateMgr, $request = NULL) in/home/indianfo/scigreen.com/plugins/blocks/information/InformationBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 54

Strict Standards: Declaration of LanguageToggleBlockPlugin::getContents() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getContents($templateMgr, $request = NULL) in/home/indianfo/scigreen.com/plugins/blocks/languageToggle/LanguageToggleBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 106

Strict Standards: Non-static method Application::getName() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in/home/indianfo/scigreen.com/lib/pkp/classes/install/form/InstallForm.inc.php on line 144

Strict Standards: Non-static method Application::getName() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in/home/indianfo/scigreen.com/lib/pkp/classes/install/form/InstallForm.inc.php on line 146

Strict Standards: Non-static method Application::getName() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in/home/indianfo/scigreen.com/lib/pkp/classes/install/form/InstallForm.inc.php on line 148

Strict Standards: Non-static method VersionCheck::getCurrentCodeVersion() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in/home/indianfo/scigreen.com/lib/pkp/classes/install/form/MaintenanceForm.inc.php on line 37

Strict Standards: Non-static method Version::fromString() should not be called statically in/home/indianfo/scigreen.com/lib/pkp/classes/site/VersionCheck.inc.php on line 115

Strict Standards: Non-static method PKPRequest::getUserVar() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in/home/indianfo/scigreen.com/lib/pkp/classes/form/Form.inc.php on line 351

Strict Standards: Non-static method PKPRequest::_checkThis() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in/home/indianfo/scigreen.com/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPRequest.inc.php on line 582

Below these error codes, there was an option to upgrade or install OJS. I chose upgrade and “Upgrade of OJS to version 3.0.0.0 has completed successfully.” message was displayed.

After that, I logged in without any error codes or issues. I used mozilla firefox browser made for yahoo version 48.0.2 yahoomy - 1.30. Each page took more time to load. The pages with tabs did not display the tabs. Instead I got them as separate listed links (e.g. Inside journal settings->masthead, contact and sections were displayed as three links one below other). Then, I tried with internet explorer and google chrome. With IE 11, the tabs were displayed correctly, but if I click the tabs, no content was loaded for some tabs. For some tabs, it took more time to load the contents. In google chrome Version 52.0.2743.116 m, all tabs displayed correctly with contents except masthead under settings → journal–> masthead. I cannot see any content in masthead in any of the browsers i tested. Because of this, about page also displays no content. How to solve all these issues? Thanks.

Hi @Editor_JBPT,

The warnings are cosmetic – we’ll be working to clean these up over the next release or two – but if they’re directed to the browser, as you report, then they’ll interfere with OJS’s operation. I’d suggest configuring your PHP to direct error messages only to the log file.

That alone may solve your problem; if not, please report back.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alec,

Thanks for the reply. As you have mentioned, I can choose not to worry about the error codes because they are not appearing again. They appeared only once during the installation. However, I am not able to view journal mast head in settings → journal–> masthead. No content is displayed in masthead, about page and editorial team. Any fix on these? Thanks.

Hi @Editor_JBPT,

Do you mean that the pages are totally blank, or that they have the OJS layout but no text content?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec,

Thanks for the reply. Now I am able to see contents in journal masthead. Two days back, I could not see any text on those pages. The page loaded with OJS layout but without any contents. Now, all of a sudden, the contents are loading. This is really a good luck!:relaxed:

However, I have noticed another issue. I am not able to see all the users registered with the journal. Especially the ones whom I assigned as editorial board members in previous installation of OJS 2.4.8. I want to display editorial board members as a list with links to their profile. Now, I can only see the users not assigned as editorial team members in previous installation of OJS 2.4.8. All the users whom I have assigned as editorial team members are missing in Users & Roles → Users. How to get all the users? Thanks.

Hi @Editor_JBPT,

Could you post this question in a separate thread? That’ll help keep the forum organized.

Thanks,
Alec Smecher

HI @asmecher,

I migrated from 2.4.6 to 3.0.1. I cannot see any content in About the journal page. In the older version I used to see all these sections: People, Policies, Making Submission, Other.
But in the new version only the text I put in masthead->about the journal appears. Is there any way to display this page like the old version?

Thanks
Ghazal

Hi @salehig,

At least for now, we’ve opted to simplify the journal setup and remove many of the bespoke fields in favour of a more flexible single field. We’ll likely be adding some generic content management tools in the future along with some defaults that may more closely approximate the OJS 2.x about pages, but those will just be defaults.

Regards,
Alec Smecher