Upgrading OJS 3.4

I am trying to test OJS 3.4. When I wanted to do it I faced this problem:
Warning : require(./lib/pkp/includes/bootstrap.inc.php): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\xampp\htdocs\public_html\index.php on line 65

Fatal error : Uncaught Error: Failed opening required ‘./lib/pkp/includes/bootstrap.inc.php’ (include_path=‘C:\xampp\php\PEAR’) in C:\xampp\htdocs\public_html\index.php:65 Stack trace: #0 {main} thrown in C:\xampp\htdocs\public_html\index.php on line 65

How can we upgrade OJS 3.3 to OSJ 3.4?

Hi @Journal_of_Positive,

Did you download the package from Github as a .zip? If so, it’ll be missing the submodules and composer packages it requires to run. Download it instead from the https://pkp.sfu.ca website.

If you’re using a git checkout, don’t forget to follow the additional steps described in the README.md document.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

A post was split to a new topic: Log issue with upgrade to OJS 3.4.0

thank you @asmecher
I downloaded from here: https://pkp.sfu.ca/software/ojs/download/

Hi @Journal_of_Positive,

Is it possible that you’ve mixed some old files in with your 3.4.0 files? It seems to me like the index.php script might be from an older version of OJS.

The index.php script should include the line:

require_once './lib/pkp/includes/bootstrap.php';

…but yours seems to include instead…

require_once './lib/pkp/includes/bootstrap.inc.php';

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I removed all files (without config.inc and public file) and started to upgrade it. I faced the following problem.

1 Like

Please also see the errors
[Wed Jun 14 20:22:02.162687 2023] [php:error] [pid 11348:tid 1852] [client ::1:56663] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Exception: Mailer driver isn’t specified in the application’s config in C:\xampp\htdocs\public_html\lib\pkp\classes\core\PKPContainer.php:315\nStack trace:\n#0 C:\xampp\htdocs\public_html\lib\pkp\classes\core\PKPContainer.php(268): PKP\core\PKPContainer::getDefaultMailer()\n#1 C:\xampp\htdocs\public_html\lib\pkp\classes\core\PKPContainer.php(117): PKP\core\PKPContainer->loadConfiguration()\n#2 C:\xampp\htdocs\public_html\lib\pkp\classes\core\PKPApplication.php(231): PKP\core\PKPContainer->registerConfiguredProviders()\n#3 C:\xampp\htdocs\public_html\lib\pkp\classes\core\PKPApplication.php(203): PKP\core\PKPApplication->initializeLaravelContainer()\n#4 C:\xampp\htdocs\public_html\classes\core\Application.php(50): PKP\core\PKPApplication->__construct()\n#5 C:\xampp\htdocs\public_html\lib\pkp\includes\bootstrap.php(37): APP\core\Application->__construct()\n#6 C:\xampp\htdocs\public_html\index.php(18): require_once(‘C:\\xampp\\htdocs…’)\n#7 {main}\n thrown in C:\xampp\htdocs\public_html\lib\pkp\classes\core\PKPContainer.php on line 315
[Wed Jun 14 20:22:26.217812 2023] [php:error] [pid 11348:tid 1880] [client ::1:56664] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Exception: Mailer driver isn’t specified in the application’s config in C:\xampp\htdocs\public_html\lib\pkp\classes\core\PKPContainer.php:315\nStack trace:\n#0 C:\xampp\htdocs\public_html\lib\pkp\classes\core\PKPContainer.php(268): PKP\core\PKPContainer::getDefaultMailer()\n#1 C:\xampp\htdocs\public_html\lib\pkp\classes\core\PKPContainer.php(117): PKP\core\PKPContainer->loadConfiguration()\n#2 C:\xampp\htdocs\public_html\lib\pkp\classes\core\PKPApplication.php(231): PKP\core\PKPContainer->registerConfiguredProviders()\n#3 C:\xampp\htdocs\public_html\lib\pkp\classes\core\PKPApplication.php(203): PKP\core\PKPApplication->initializeLaravelContainer()\n#4 C:\xampp\htdocs\public_html\classes\core\Application.php(50): PKP\core\PKPApplication->__construct()\n#5 C:\xampp\htdocs\public_html\lib\pkp\includes\bootstrap.php(37): APP\core\Application->__construct()\n#6 C:\xampp\htdocs\public_html\index.php(18): require_once(‘C:\\xampp\\htdocs…’)\n#7 {main}\n thrown in C:\xampp\htdocs\public_html\lib\pkp\classes\core\PKPContainer.php on line 315

Hi @Journal_of_Positive,

See the OJS 3.4.0 Release Notebook on configuration changes required for the upgrade process.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

After those, it worked yet I faced this error: * A database error has occurred: Storage engine that doesn’t support foreign key constraints detected in one or more tables: , , , . Change to InnoDB before running the upgrade.

Hi @Journal_of_Positive,

See this post: Error upgrading OJS 3.2.1.3 to 3.4 - #3 by asmecher

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Maybe this does not apply in this case but in my experience, you will always get errors unless you upgrade from the most recent previous version only.
This has been the case for me since 3.0.

Hi,

Some hosting actually a Softaculous service, and the easiest way to upgrade is by that service. Check your hosting service if you may have it.

1 Like

Now, I experienced the following problem.

• A database error has occurred: There are unprocessed log files from more than 1 day ago in the directory C:\home\journalo\ojsdata/usageStats/usageEventLogs/. This happens when the scheduled task to process usage stats logs is not being run daily. All logs in this directory older than 20230621 must be processed or removed before the upgrade can continue.

Do you have any suggestions?

I solved this but have another for OJS 3.4.01:

• A database error has occurred: Storage engine that doesn’t support foreign key constraints detected in one or more tables: pln_deposits, pln_deposit_objects, publons_reviews, publons_reviews_settings. Change to InnoDB before running the upgrade.

Yes. Although I don’t see 3.4 as an option in Softaculous yet. Maybe it will update soon

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 13 days. New replies are no longer allowed.