Upgrading from ojs-3.3.0-8 LTS to ojs-3.3.0-11 LTS

Hi everyone,

Describe the issue or problem
I’m upgrading our ojs to the latest LTS version using the CLI XAMPP platform, but I’m getting this error despite the fact that the upgrade was successful.

What application are you using?
OJS-3.3.0-8

Best Regards;
Darryl

Hi @OJS_Darryl,

What error are you getting?

-Roger
PKP Team

Hi @rcgillis ,

Thanks for the response on this Topic…

Here is my error I get to this upgrade.

Before I get into the meat of the matter. Let me explain from the start. I have another website research journal website to upgrade from the previous version to the beta version.

Older Version: OJS.2.4.5-8:

One of my goals here is to convert this to the LTS version.

Here is my target Steps to follow:

Step 1: From ojs-2.4.5-8 to ojs-3.1.2.4.
I got this Error:

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in C:\xampp7.3\htdocs\www\journalswebsite\lib\pkp\lib\adodb\drivers\adodb-mysql.inc.php:456

to solve this problem: I go to the config.inc.php do a change on this in the [Database Settings];
[database]

driver = mysql change to mysqli
host = localhost
username = root
password =
name = database name

when I run the upgrade again I got this error:

Upgrade failed: DB: Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT), (utf8mb4_general_ci,COERCIBLE), (utf8mb4_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation ‘replace’

Best Regards;

Darryl

Hi @rcgillis ;

Here is the error:

php tools/upgrade.php upgrade

2022-08-29 13:32:16 [pre-install]
2022-08-29 13:32:16 [load: upgrade.xml]
2022-08-29 13:32:16 [version: 3.3.0.11]
2022-08-29 13:32:16 [code: Installer Installer::checkPhpVersion]
2022-08-29 13:32:16 [code: Installer Installer::installDefaultNavigationMenus]
WARNING: The NavigationMenu (ContextId: 1, Title: User Navigation Menu, Area: user) will be skipped because the specified area has already a NavigationMenu attached.
WARNING: The NavigationMenu (ContextId: 1, Title: Primary Navigation Menu, Area: primary) will be skipped because the specified area has already a NavigationMenu attached.
WARNING: The NavigationMenu (ContextId: 2, Title: User Navigation Menu, Area: user) will be skipped because the specified area has already a NavigationMenu attached.
WARNING: The NavigationMenu (ContextId: 2, Title: Primary Navigation Menu, Area: primary) will be skipped because the specified area has already a NavigationMenu attached.
WARNING: The NavigationMenu (ContextId: 0, Title: User Navigation Menu, Area: user) will be skipped because the specified area has already a NavigationMenu attached.
2022-08-29 13:32:16 [code: Installer Installer::migrateStaticPagesToNavigationMenuItems]
2022-08-29 13:32:16 [code: Installer Installer::addPluginVersions]
2022-08-29 13:32:17 [post-install]
Successfully upgraded to version 3.3.0.11

There is a warning;

Best Regards;

Darryl

Hi @OJS_Darryl,

Thanks for these additional details. I’ll see if some of our team members are able to assist when they are available.

-Roger
PKP Team

That’s because recent versions of PHP ditched the “mysql” database driver in favor or “mysqli”.

So, you just have to edit config.inc.php and change:

[database]
driver = mysql

To:

[database]
driver = mysqli

@janiosarmento ;

Thanks for response, yeah I did that but it same warning happend.

# php tools/upgrade.php upgrade
2022-09-12 03:58:59 [pre-install]
2022-09-12 03:58:59 [load: upgrade.xml]
2022-09-12 03:58:59 [version: 3.3.0.11]
2022-09-12 03:58:59 [code: Installer Installer::checkPhpVersion]
2022-09-12 03:58:59 [code: Installer Installer::installDefaultNavigationMenus]
WARNING: The NavigationMenu (ContextId: 1, Title: User Navigation Menu, Area: user) will be skipped because the specified area has already a NavigationMenu attached.
WARNING: The NavigationMenu (ContextId: 1, Title: Primary Navigation Menu, Area: primary) will be skipped because the specified area has already a NavigationMenu attached.
WARNING: The NavigationMenu (ContextId: 2, Title: User Navigation Menu, Area: user) will be skipped because the specified area has already a NavigationMenu attached.
WARNING: The NavigationMenu (ContextId: 2, Title: Primary Navigation Menu, Area: primary) will be skipped because the specified area has already a NavigationMenu attached.
WARNING: The NavigationMenu (ContextId: 0, Title: User Navigation Menu, Area: user) will be skipped because the specified area has already a NavigationMenu attached.
2022-09-12 03:58:59 [code: Installer Installer::migrateStaticPagesToNavigationMenuItems]
2022-09-12 03:59:00 [code: Installer Installer::addPluginVersions]
2022-09-12 03:59:00 [post-install]

Successfully upgraded to version 3.3.0.11

But, When I checked the server information:

the database driver: mysql is not change to mysqli.

In the config.inc.php database setting

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; Database Settings ;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

[database]

driver = mysqli
host = localhost
username = root
password = 
name = databasename_upgrade

Best Regards,

Darryl